* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

UPDATE: Emerging ISV Handbook / Sales Is Not Rocket Science

greetings,

for those who are interested, i have made the core "How To" content of the third edition of The Emerging ISV Handbook / Sales Is Not Rocket Science available for viewing at halcarroll.com.

background: in oct '06 and apr '10 i made available the content of my ebook The Emerging ISV Handbook / Sales Is Not Rocket Science via free pdf download.  since that time i've had numerous medical issues and have stepped back from work but have continued to expand, refresh and refine the content.  i have a TON of content in draft and hope to have the project wrapped up nlt oct '16.

i hope some of you find the content to be of help in your efforts.

best,
hal
Hal Carroll Send private email
Tuesday, October 22, 2013

"Lifestyle ISV" - you lost me here:

"Ample employee personal time, relatively low stress environment for all involved"

..although this is a bit more like it:

"Often a make it up as you go along environment"

Joking aside - it looks like a good read, and I certainly need all the help I can get on the sales side.
Matthew Fender Send private email
Tuesday, October 22, 2013

hi matthew,

humor is always appreciated (!) and i hope you *do* find some things to be of interest and help to your efforts.

best,
hal
Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Only a few pages in but some interesting stuff.

I am surprised the usual gass-bags on here haven't chimed in! ;)
Ryan Wheeler Send private email

Do I qualify as a "gass-bag" [sic]?

Homework assignment for you.  Read at least four articles on the "Practical Sales Management" website and write down at least four practical, actionable pieces of advice.  What's the matter, having a hard time finding useful, concrete advice in the thousands of words posted?  But wait, this is an audience of analytic computer programmers who don't succumb to this kind of overt marketing/subliminal advertising shtick.
Howard Ness Send private email

hi ryan,

thx for your comments, i hope you find some things of interest / benefit to you.

best,
hal
Saturday, October 26, 2013

howard,

thx for your feedback, as well.

best,
hal
Saturday, October 26, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics