* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Is this forum dying, never seen so few topics on the front page?

The web's been around long enough for me to have been a member of a forum that was once very active and gradually died a death.
The last time I looked it was getting about 1 message a month.

Sadly, this place looks to be going the same way
Drummer Send private email
Tuesday, October 15, 2013

I still think it's a very good discussion board. I've learned a lot here. Maybe not as active as before (I wouldn't know, I'm new here), but still provides quality information.
John Senar Send private email

Yes, looks like it is gradually dying to me.  Nilesh plotted a line showing the x crossing point, so if it follows that function, it will be down to 0 posts a month by 2015:

https://my.infocaptor.com/dash/data/demo/reddit_5101395b904cb/rename_new_5101395b9c810.png

Things must have been interesting in April 2007:  425 posts a month, about new 14 posts a day.
Racky Send private email

The moderation is not so bad now, but it was heavy handed for a while when they started the mandatory registration. The mandatory registration and moderation drove off a lot of really insightful contributors. It didn't drive off low value contributors though - such actions never do.

Recently Joel's other firm turned over a bunch of data to the US Government to help identify and arrest a notorious free speech and privacy advocate.

Writing is on the wall for forums hosted in English speaking countries.

Activity is moving elsewhere.
Scott Send private email
Wednesday, October 16, 2013

I've been a member her for a very long time and it seems at least once a year, if not every 6 months, someone declares this forum dead.

It's still here and still going, or you wouldn't be posting on it. If you really need every hour, on the hour "updates", try Facebook?

Then you could learn what all your 'friends" had to eat today, see pictures of their latest spawn etc. It'll keep you entertained for hours, if you're into that kind of thing.

If you're interested in the business of software then this is still the place to be.

That it doesn't update very often is a bonus, as ultimately it's about business, not a hobby or place to post cat pictures.

AC
Reluctantlyregistered Send private email

>Recently Joel's other firm turned over a bunch of data to the US Government to help identify and arrest a notorious free speech and privacy advocate.

Are you talking about the 'Silk Road' guy? If so, "free speech and privacy advocate" seems a particularly hilarious euphemism for drug dealer.
Andy Brice Send private email

+1 to AC.

I too have been here a long time, since 2000 actually, so I've seen a lot of stuff happen and a lot of people come and go.

This site is still interesting, although a lot of activity has moved elsewhere as Scott mentioned. I assumed our hosts would shut this site down at some point, but so far, it hasn't happened.
Scorpio Send private email

I still follow this forum regularly because the signal to noise ratio seems to be pretty good here (relative to other message boards I've frequented over the years). 

At least, I haven't found a better forum for small-time software vendors yet.  Most 'startup' boards tend to attract boatloads of inane questions such as 'how do I meet VCs?' or 'how do me and my friends decide who gets to be CEO?' rather than 'What's the most effective way to do X for my software business?'
James A. Send private email

I've been here since 2006 when this forum was really alive.. unfortunately, shutting down anon registration really killed this place overnight. I hope it continues as it is for a long time, because its a great resource.
IdeaSkeer Send private email
Tuesday, November 12, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics