* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Site review

Hi friends,

After undergoing several changes, I've re-designed the site with new focus and a new logo. Some of the things I'm most interested in your feedback:
- is the site engaging?
- is it easy to understand what the company does?
- do you think the funnels are in the right place?

And, of course, any other feedback is welcome as well.

Here's the site: http://ortask.com

I thank you in advance for your positive/constructive feedback.

Mario G.
Mario G Send private email
Tuesday, October 08, 2013

You have an auto-scrolling carousel that takes away the only sentence on the homepage while I'm in the middle of reading it.

The homepage gives no idea about what you do.  The phrase "software testing" appears, but do you sell testing software, or are you a testing consultancy, or do you do training (I think this is it, based on the "Our Mission" page, but I'm still not sure).

There's a big button with "Show me!" written on it, but it doesn't show me anything, it takes me to a contact form.

Sorry to be so negative.
Richie Hindle Send private email
Wednesday, October 09, 2013

Richie Hindle: "The homepage gives no idea about what you do."

+1 to Richie for all comments, but in particular the opaque nature of what the site is for. I had no idea looking at the home page, so I clicked around a bit, but it didn't help.

I know you were looking for "positive/constructive feedback", but really, the whole thing is a disaster. Terrible lack of clarity about what it is, poor website that doesn't scale/respond, just awful.

Just checked the wayback machine and your old site was confusing too.

In the spirit of "positive/constructive feedback", I would humbly suggest you figure out "what your product does and why anyone cares". Then, create a modern website that works and shows just one static screenshot and a bullet list of 4-6 features/advantages. No carousels, no animation, just the facts, with a big old Call to Action that does something useful.

The truth is, I have a suspicion that you might have something interesting here, but hiding it like this does nobody any favours.
Scorpio Send private email

I think you need to put yourself in your visitor's shoes.  I'm looking for something (testing software?) and I've just landed on your site.  You've got maybe 3 seconds to convince me to look around, else I'm back to Google and looking at the next result.

I too can't tell what you do.  Testing research?

Answer this: What do you think people will type into Google that really are looking for your solution.  Whatever it is, make sure you display that heavily on the very first screen that loads.
Doug Send private email

Every time you post about your site here on Bos the feedback is the same: nobody understands what your business/service does. Do you sell testing software? Do you provide software testing services? "Testing Tapas" - what's that all about?

Could you explain what you do in really simple terms? A real life example would be helpful.

Dominic
Dominic Send private email

"The Quick, Painless and Modern Guide to Help Lone Entrepreneurs with Tight Budgets Effectively Reach Their Customers Online."

http://www.amazon.com/The-Original-Presence-Startup-ebook/dp/B008VUXO36

Mario is the author of this Kindle book.

The following blog post calls out the essential problem with Mario's copy and presentation:

http://industribrand.wordpress.com/2011/03/21/the-evils-of-borrowed-interest/

"One problem is that technical experts, when given the opportunity to help produce an ad tend to become amateur creative directors.  Instead of helping you search for that salient point of difference, they leap frog into creative concepts that are usually just clichés.  Amazingly, these individuals sometimes get upset if you don’t feed back to them their half-baked ideas."
Profit and Loss Send private email

Hey, will you look at that... it's not every day one gets free press. I still think that little guide is useful to new startups on a tight budget, especially in the section that talks about this forum.

Thanks profitandloss for the free marketing :)

To the rest of the folks that gave valuable feedback, I sincerely appreciate it. Thanks!

Mario G.
Mario G Send private email

Your logo looks jagged (that is not anti aliased).
I looked at it to see what causes it and the thing is you are using too big an image (which is smooth on its own part) but than it gets jagged when resized to small size by your site (by cms or whatever).
Now that's probably not a big deal but that;s the thing i first notice because it is in contrast with impression of "neatness" that you are , I assume, trying to impress on your visitors.

Just resize image in photoshop and put that version for logo instead letting your cms resize the big image.
alexandar Send private email
Thursday, October 10, 2013

@Mario
Please can you post here what your product is, then we'll at least have some clue when looking at the site. Thanks and good luck.
Scorpio Send private email

@Mario, can you explain why, despite being very strongly advised (indeed, criticized) since at least summer 2012, you never have been willing to explain what your product does on your web site?  I'm really interested in understanding your thoughts or feelings that are behind it. 

I'm just really curious what the resistance is about.  (This is not intended as a sarcastic comment or anything like that; I just find this sort of odd and want to understand it better).
Racky Send private email

+100 everyone...

I've watched some of the videos and still can't work out what the 'solution' is...
Ewan McNab Send private email

It seems like the site is about paying $9/month for access to some YouTube clips that advise you on how to be a better tester.

You can also get access to "Papers" by filling out a form. (IMO, making people fill out a form for this kind of thing is the kiss of death, but maybe that's just me).

I think I'll stick with the $0/month actual YouTube, at least until I have some reason to think the value is there, which I'm not willing to pay $9/month to figure out.
GregT Send private email

- is the site engaging?

I think the site looks nice. You also have a nice logo.

- is it easy to understand what the company does?

Not really. I can see it's about testing and that you supply "Next Gen Testing Software". The trouble is I can't see any software on the site.

- do you think the funnels are in the right place?

I could not figure out what you are selling. There seems to be some fundamental disconnect between the statement in the header of the the site "Next Gen Testing Software" and the fact that you are offering a subscription service to videos. If you are selling videos, then the last thing on earth you should use is youtube! Host the videos yourself and use your own video player on site. You need to make it abundantly clear what the video subscription actually offers.

Do you actually have any software to sell? If not, then remove the references to "Next Gen Software" and focus on what you are actually trying to sell. Until that point you don't have a funnel and you don't have a business.
Andrew Gibson Send private email
Saturday, October 12, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics