* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Looking for affordable testing software

We need to test  a web application and simulate  1000s of users and processes.  There are two good products out there for this called loadrunner and neoload. For the volume we need we are looking at $100,000 licenses(if not more).

Yes we have to do development with these tools, but they would save time over building things from scratch. We don't really have the bodies to build the level of testing we really need. So we are shopping for a tool that might reduce development time.

does anyone know of any cheaper alternatives we can look at. any ideas you have would be appreciated. We can look at them. Even if you dont think it will give us 'everything' these do. it could be worth looking at then building on top of it.

this is a large complex application with many pieces. We are hoping to be able to get better simulation testing before deploying to production.
Contractor Send private email
Wednesday, October 02, 2013

does anyone know another forum I could go to to ask about this? I dont think the stack exchange would appreciate this kind of question.
Contractor Send private email

Alex Vasilevsky Send private email

I'm using Amazon's Mechnical Turk right now for a project, and it made me wonder if it would be a possibility for web site testing?  At pennies per test, maybe it could make sense??  (I guess it wouldn't work for load testing though since you can't control when people would hit your website)
Doug Send private email

We have been using QF-Test to test our Java GUIs and are very happy with both the product and support:

http://www.excelsior-usa.com/blog/excelsior-jet/java-gui-testing-tool-we-recommend/

QFS, the company behind QF-Test, also offers solutions for Web app testing, but we have not used them.
Dmitry Leskov Send private email
Thursday, October 03, 2013

Take a look at WAPT: http://www.loadtestingtool.com
Sergey Petrov Send private email
Thursday, October 03, 2013

Frank Coukos Send private email
Tuesday, October 08, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics