* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Summer sales dip?

My sales over the past six months look like this:

Apr: =================
May: =======
Jun:  ==========
Jul:  ==
Aug: ===
Sep: ========================

Do other B2B mISVs find that sales slow right down over July and August, and then spike right up in September - and to this extent?
Richie Hindle Send private email
Tuesday, October 01, 2013
Its depends from product and market.
My bad month is December, for example.
Alex Vasilevsky Send private email
Tuesday, October 01, 2013
+1 Alex. August 2011 was our best month ever that came after a pretty good July. Next year, September was the second worst month, and the worst September since 2005. And this year, the third quarter looks pretty flat.

So, at least for our product, there is so much fluctuation that I long prefer to think in terms of quarters, not months. 6- and 12- month averages are good at eliminating the seasonal factor altogether.
Dmitry Leskov Send private email
Wednesday, October 02, 2013
May: =================
July: ================
MatrixFailure Send private email
September was my worst month for sales, but best for downloads.  I don't think there's much logic to it, it will all balance out eventually.
DanDan Send private email
I would guess for most of us that we don't have the volume to smooth our statistical bumps.  So longer term charts are helpful as a poster above said.
Doug Send private email
smooth _out_ statistical bumps...
Doug Send private email
Our sales in September were the lowest this year and 1/4 of those in the previous month.
NewToASPX Send private email
Thursday, October 03, 2013
Over the years sales have gone up year by year for the most part. 2010 I think was the bad one, the end of 2008 global collapse took a year to kick in. Or was it 2011. My memory has been failing lately for some reason.

Month to month though there can be huge variations that make no sense.

Sometimes you can find the reason. Someone posting a rave review on a site lots of people go to can bring in tons of sales. As can casual mentions on blogs or other boards by respected personalities in your field.
Scott Send private email
Sunday, October 06, 2013
I generally see a dip in June, a bump up in July and a huge dip in August which, for the last few years, has hungover into the early part of September. For the 2nd half of the year my best 2 months are always July & October.
Gazinhio Send private email
Tuesday, October 08, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics