* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

New logo

Hi all. First, I'd like to ask that you look at the new logo before reading other people's opinions, & post yours without being influenced by others.

I have a new logo concept for DeepTrawl....

http://www.deeptrawl.com/etc/logo.png

1) What did you think it was right away?
2) What are your thoughts / opinions in general?

Please be harsh if needed. I want to improve the brand so it's better to get any bad feedback early.

Thanks,
Jon
Jonathan Matthews Send private email
Saturday, September 28, 2013

1) A jellyfish.
2) It made me physically recoil from the screen.  Seriously.
3) Sorry.
Richie Hindle Send private email

> 3) Sorry.

No apology needed... that's valuable feedback.

1. Sadly, I went to check out your website before checking out the logo itself, so I knew what it was about, but I don't think I would have guessed otherwise.

2. The squid logo and the letters don't integrate. The logo is made of tapering lines and the font is as geometrically regular as they come: they don't feel like they belong together.

I took the liberty of rearranging it a little as an example. Check http://www.preptags.com/images/deeptrawl_logo_01.png
Sylvain Galibert Send private email

1. An octopus but a little like sperm (sorry).

2. Don't like the font, (a bit thin and spaced out IMHO), I think you can do better. Might be cool if the octopus had its tentacles wrapped around the D
BF Send private email

It's always about the D with you, isn't it BF?

AC

(I kid)
Reluctantlyregistered Send private email

Sylvain, I really like your version.  Got the logo after the brand name, check.  Linked the brand name to the logo, check.  Matched the thickness of the character strokes to those in the logo, check.  Similar degree and direction of tilt for characters and logo, check.  If someone was to spend more time on this, they could probably find a less formal font, to better complement the curves of the logo.  But what this really needs is a better logo.  If your brand name has no obvious link to the product, why not use a logo that at least signals something to do with the Internet, not jellyfish, amoeba or arthropods? 

Consider Apple logos.  When the Fab Four used it, it didn't mean anything other than to distinguish which country the LP was pressed in.  When Jobs and Wozniak used it, it could be connected to education, colour and computer graphics.
Howard Ness Send private email

@Sylvain

Thanks - I'm really impressed you too the time to do that!

> 1. An octopus but a little like sperm (sorry).

This is why I asked people to look and form an opinion before commenting. I'm getting this from other feedback. I'm surprised, I have a sophomoric sense of humour but didn't see that (too close to the project I guess).  I'm leaning towards ruling out the logo because this keeps coming back again & again.

It is supposed to be a squid? It is quite cute. But it doesn't look like any squid I know of (and I'm quite interested in squid!). The mantle shape in wrong and the eyes are in the wrong place. A deep dwelling squid should look more like this:
http://www.perceptions.couk.com/imgs/squid.gif

And perhaps it should look more evil then cute. After all you are trying to find bad things on their website...
Andy Brice Send private email

Both logos are very nice.

I am leaning more toward Sylvain Galibert's version.

But I like the font in the original more.

Maybe some combination of the two would work even better.

Keep the octopus image after the words "Deep Trawl" but use a bit different font.
Eugene D. Send private email

- To convey the notion of depth, I think the squid should be angled downward.

- I like the image to the left of the text, since that's consistent with most other mixed image / text logos.

- The body of the squid looks a bit like a tadpole to me, but I think that's OK. After all, trawling nets have unintended catches, including giant squids, so you don't want it to look too realistic.

- The text is roughly half the height of the image. I would either include your tagline (from the original logo) or scale the text up a bit so they're on par with each other.
Nicholas Hebb Send private email

Bottom of the ocean is dark, you need something that represents that somehow, like an illuminated broken link of an anchor chain that's covered in barnacles.
Drummer Send private email

The name "DeepTrawl" to me invokes imagery of a ship on the ocean somewhere, fishing deep for stuff in the ocean.  It makes me think the website is something to do with ships and the shipping industry, and seeing a squid just further enforces my perception.
PSB136 Send private email

+100 with the squid/sperm comments; it just looks...weird.

I would try to align the message along the 'excavation/repair' motif.

Here's a 2-minute re-work I did of what I'm talking about:

http://d.pr/i/QqQP

Hope this helps
BI Baracus Send private email

Or similarly:

Woops, meant:

http://d.pr/i/w1Qg

I like the squid and think it can be on the left or right.

The problem I have with the first logo is the top line of the letters need to either align with one of the eyeballs, or be in the middle as in the revised logo that was posted. The top of the letters, which is an important line in any logo, is closer to one eye than another. The two eyes are anchoring points. Not creating alignment here is a problem.
Scott Send private email

Also space between the squid and the D seems a bit too wide.
Scott Send private email

Well it is repelling  to me . You could put and earth-worm as well. I just don't like crawling creatures...What is it anyway, a squid?

Sorry you demanded for harsh opinion and that was my feelings the second I saw it.

I don't think tentacles or such have any business in logos unless they are very cute  indeed.
alexandar Send private email
Sunday, September 29, 2013

Don't think anything of it, it didn't take much time.

To avoid the sperm analogy (which does come to mind), you can follow Andy's suggestion and do a more anatomically correct squid, like this one:

http://www.preptags.com/images/deeptrawl_logo_02.png

"- To convey the notion of depth, I think the squid should be angled downward."
The idea make sense, but you have to be careful with that kind of things. Lines and graphics going up are associated with success, optimism and overall positive things. Lines going downward give the opposite feeling.
Sylvain Galibert Send private email

@Jonathan: Have you considered a sonar screen?  It's not a bad analogy for what you're doing, and won't scare me or alexandar away.  :-)

Something like this: http://entrian.com/deep-trawl-sonar.png (I am no graphic designer, but you get the idea).

...and there should be objects on the sonar screen - it shouldn't be just blank like that.  It would immediately make you wonder what those objects were.

I would go against the general sperm-aware population here, but I find the logo OK.

As others mentioned, the font choice and distance between picture and text, and other minor things could be improved.

I do not expect web masters to invest time into comparative analysis of the logo vs "the real squid". As long as it is easily recognizable on the browser tab icon -- it is good enough.

And of course it is a huge step forward comparing to the previous one.
Vladimir Dyuzhev Send private email

Thanks all - this is a phenomenal level of feedback. I'm really impressed at the attention people gave it and that several actually went to the lengths of creating mockups.

In all honesty I think I'm leaning towards not using the idea of a sea creature at all now. If it's too realistic I'm afraid it's going to be ugly (imho squid et al aren't the prettiest things!), if it's too cartoon-y the "sperm issue" comes into play.

I suspect that I could iterate a long time on this concept and not get anything great unless I was locked in an office with a designer for a day, which unfortunately my budget doesn't allow for.

So, the logo does need to change (the current one is looking very dated) but I think I'm probably going to go with my backup design for now. It's a little more generic but it'll allow me to move on with the next release a lot more quickly and cheaply than continuing with the sea related logo theme.

Thanks again.

You can find a lot of cartoony squids that don't look like sperm (really just need the triangle head) but if you back up logo looks decent go with it.  Google and Yahoo (among others) did fine for years with logos that looked like they were done by kindergardeners. Now if you plan on monetizing your product by selling tshirts and plushies, you need to find a really cute squid....
Foobar Send private email

At first, I wasn't into the squid/tadpole/triops genetics experiment thing.  Once I saw the trawler/dredging machine and the radar scope, it just "felt right" to have some hardcore not-fooling-around-because-we-get-the-job-done-like-recovering-stuff-or-finding-enemy-subs technological imagery as part of the logo. 

(Although I can't help but think a Cthulhu logo would be funny)
Racky Send private email

In the context of HTTP, "squid" always meant this to me:

http://www.squid-cache.org/

so at least some part of your target audience might think your product has something to do with Squid the caching proxy if you go ahead with (a variation of) the original logo.

Did you consider using a simplified silhouette of, you know, a trawler?

https://encrypted.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=trawler%20silhouette
Dmitry Leskov Send private email
Monday, September 30, 2013

To me, "trawl" is a kind of net, used by a fishing boat (a trawler), so I'd expect the logo to be related to that. To be honest, I never "got" the name DeepTrawl anyway.
Scorpio Send private email
Monday, September 30, 2013

The logo is great -- if you are running a fishing company or sperm bank.

You're over-thinking it a little bit.
Richard McBeef Send private email
Saturday, October 05, 2013

>> "The logo is great -- if you are running a fishing company or sperm bank."

I'm having a hard time thinking of a company that doesn't use abstract or metaphorical logos for their brand or products. Microsoft Windows isn't a physical window replacement (and yet their logo is a window) and Apple doesn't sell apple bushels (and yet their logo is an apple).

I don't think he's over-thinking it. He just doesn't have the execution right yet.
Wyatt O'Day Send private email
Saturday, October 05, 2013

"Microsoft Windows isn't a physical window replacement"
Actually,  the logo didn't reflect a physical window until version 3.1, seven years after version 1.01 and it included the curve/wave and vapour trails without ever resembling my kitchen window. http://en.hugon.ws/articles/miscellaneous/microsoft-windows-logo-history/  By then the metaphor of movable panes that could be stacked or tiled on a colour display was well established.  It wasn't called Windows for nothing.

"Apple doesn't sell apple bushels "
Here's what a bushel of apples looks like.  http://www.mprgroup.net/images/september/bushel_red_apples.jpg  The original Apple logo was even worse than the Deep Trawl spermatozoa logo. http://www.edibleapple.com/2009/04/20/the-evolution-and-history-of-the-apple-logo/  Jobs, being no dummy, commissioned a graphic designer to come up with something else that looked electric, colourful and modern.  Those aren't bad attributes to associate with a personal computer designed for non-geeky persons.  Believe it or not, it worked out all right for the Apple Computer Company.  When Apple needed to change its image and become "cool", the logo became monochrome, but the brand name didn't change.  You could do worse than to emulate the marketing techniques of Apple.

"I don't think he's over-thinking it"
Over, under or screwy thinking, it doesn't matter, it's an early candidate for the Logo Hall of Shame and should be replaced before it becomes a target for ridicule.
Howard Ness Send private email
Sunday, October 06, 2013

>> "By then the metaphor of movable panes that could be stacked or tiled on a colour display was well established.  It wasn't called Windows for nothing."

Uhh, ok.... I don't think we're disagreeing.

>> "Over, under or screwy thinking, it doesn't matter, it's an early candidate for the Logo Hall of Shame and should be replaced before it becomes a target for ridicule."

I think you misunderstood my post. It wasn't a defense of the logo (I think it looks like sperm too). I was defending the process to get to a good logo. It takes a lot of shitty logos to get to a good one. Obviously a designer with some talent can help with the process.

>> "Here's what a bushel of apples looks like. "

Here's what a bushel of oranges looks like: http://www.californiaoranges.com/images/P/40lb_Box2.jpg

What's your point? Did you not understand what I wrote?
Wyatt O'Day Send private email
Sunday, October 06, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics