* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Anyone Using or Looked at LiveCode?

Hi

I've been looking for a technology to develop my mobile app in, preferably cross-platform so I don't have to reinvent the wheel for each platform. I've waited for Delphi mobile for some time but I've found that what they've finally come up with is a fudge and they want horrendous amounts of money for it.

Incensed at Delphi's publishers I began to look at blogs and forums to get a sense of what others were using. Out of the blue I saw a link for something called "LiveCode". I clicked through and found what is the modern day equivalent of HyperCard but for which you can develop apps for every major platform including iOS and Android. It looks awesome to me although I need to do more research to make sure it's fit-for-purpose. They have a free open source version for non-commerical use to try it out.

Has anyone used LiveCode to develop their app(s) or is anyone in the process of developing an app with it and can you share your experience with it. Cheers.

http://www.livecode.com
Gazinhio Send private email
Wednesday, September 25, 2013

What programming language is used?
Could not find on their website ...
Alex Vasilevsky Send private email

I suppose they call the language LiveCode - it uses an English-like language which, from what I understand, is inherited from the original HyperCard.

Just go to livecode.com

Check out Lazarus and Free Pascal, it has mobile development.
TD Send private email

if you're an Object Pascal coder, I guess you've heard of Oxygene.
They seem to target a lot of platforms.

http://www.remobjects.com/oxygene/
Drummer Send private email
Thursday, September 26, 2013

@TD and Drummer - I've looked at FreePascal/Lazarus and Oxygene. Oxygene is a viable option but I'm more likely to jump ship away from Pascal altogether and will likely go with C# / Xamarin. But LiveCode really piqued my interest and I really like it - but playing around with it and developing a full scale application to sell to businesses are 2 completely different things and I was hoping there might be people on here using LiveCode to develop their apps who have experiences to share.

From the demo video, it seems like LiveCode is up to the job of making a really simple iPhone app, etc.

What I wonder is:  at what level of complexity will these sort of ultra-high level "languages" (or utilities) fail to be up to the job of your program?  And I don't even mean anything computationally sophisticated, but something with a lot of options, some data moving around, etc.
Racky Send private email

@Racky - that's my concern as well although their support people seem uber-confident that it'll handle what I want to do, telling me about case studies such as KLM using it for their main flight booking system and a couple of project management systems. Ironically I recognise one of their client's applications from regular visits to an eye hospital with my wife. It seems to be along the same lines as Xojo (formerly Real Studio) and it's recently been recognised alongside some illustrious mobile dev tools such as Appcelerator, Xamarin and PhoneGap.

I might have a go at developing an app I need for myself as a test project and see if I come up against any serious limitations.

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics