* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

how many buy button clicks can make an order

I just checked how many buy button clicks convert to an order.

It is about 5 for me.

My purchase-finished-page is showed about 20 times while the buy button is clicked 100 times.

It is not accurate since people could click the buy button serveral times.

Background info:  my download to buy conversion rate is about 2%

Did you checked this? What is it?
leiju Send private email
Sunday, September 22, 2013

My Buy-Button-To-Sale conversion rate is about 15%.

My Download-To-Buy conversion rate is about 20%.

My Visitor-To-Download conversion rate is about 5%.

Those ratios are for conversion to a transaction, not to a seat - most of my licenses are sold as multi-seat licenses.  My overall Visitor-To-Seat-Sold conversion rate is around 4%, which I think is pretty good.  (I need more visitors!)
Richie Hindle Send private email

Those figures are delicious Richie :o)

Have you considered direct mail?

AC
Reluctantlyregistered Send private email

Unfortunately I do not have this statistics, but "download to buy conversion rate is about 2%" is good. ;)
Typically less than 1%...
Alex Vasilevsky Send private email

Great numbers! I wish I had them. Apparently selling SaaS is harder.

@Richie, I understand you basically sell to consumers (developers) and I also understand that can be possible to convince a buyer to pull his card and invest $ 29 in a beautiful grep. But what I am really missing is how can you charge only $ 29 for a product. I think I am missing something. Given your figures you have an income per visitor of 29 * 20% * 5%, this is 0.29 how can you afford CPC that are never under $ 0.50? I have considered multiple ad alternatives and never got a CPC under 0.50, most are over 1.0. Am I missing some alternative? Does it target exclusively developers?

@Leju, Do you sell to developers too? What is the price?
Franco Graziosi Send private email

@Alan: I have an allergy to marketing :-) hence the low sales volume... I'm a natural coder, and not a natural marketer.  Adding the next cool feature is always more tempting than attempting to wear a whole new hat.  Hiring someone to help would be an option, but I don't have a lot of money to spend.

As for direct mail (you're talking pieces of paper, yes, not email?) I'm a bit skeptical that it would pay off at $29 per license, even if it retained the conversion ratio.  If one in four letters resulted in a visit, and I kept a 4% visitor-to-seat ratio, and the letters cost $0.30 each, that's a loss.  Can you persuade me I'm wrong?

@Franco: I'm not buying traffic, I'm talking about organic traffic.  (I'm also selling mostly to businesses - teams of developers, rather than single customers.  And your numbers are slightly wrong, if I were buying traffic.  It would be something like $29 * 4% = $1.16 per visitor - a sale is often multiple seats.  But I don't think I'd get the same conversion ratio from ads that I do from organic traffic.)
Richie Hindle Send private email

4 clicks from pressing the buy now button in the software on or my website.  I've looked at shortening this process (Fastspring allows me to) but the cart pages then look too cluttered to my eye.  I guess I should A/B test it to check. 

Once someone gets into the first page of my checkout more than 80% of them complete the order.  My download to purchase percentage is around 8%.  My visitor to download ratio is about 11%.
Mark Nemtsas Send private email

$29?

Ah.

Even with postcards that could be a problem..  :o/

AC
Reluctantlyregistered Send private email
Monday, September 23, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics