* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Doing justice for Avangate

Last month there was a thread here started by me about unexplained chargebacks.
Well, a month later they sent me money that they took by mistake.
They did more-they introuduced couple of things to their control panel regarding chargebacks and sent an proper email explaining it in details. I guess you all got that email.

So the current state of afairs with Avangate (to me at least) is that they still care and are reliable.
alexandar Send private email
Wednesday, September 18, 2013
Well played that man.

Reluctantlyregistered Send private email
Thanks Alan  (I take it you are being serious)

Here is a bit of advice from me to you

On your contact form I see you have just 1 email field. if it hasn't happened yet it will one day that's for sure, a customer will try to contact you and he will have written his email wrongly. And you will feel pissed off when your reply bounces back to you because he wrote "mike66@yahoo instead mike67  by mistake...

So what I'm saying is that you should just add one more field to your contact form:
"Confirm email:"

Am i right, people?
Yes, I'm serious.

Complaining in anger is easy; acknowledging good service is much rarer.

My contact form will reject obviously email format errors, then it sends a "Yes, that's a real fish" email, which both breaks the ice and gives me a bounceback error if they've used a dead address. That saves me spending an hour or more looking at their site or materials and giving a detailed reply, without a valid address to send it to.

Happily though, that's never happened and I've never had such a bounce-back.

That still leaves me open to sending a detailed reply to fred66 instead of fred67 or such, but as far as I know it's never happened either.

In contrast, how many have contacted me because it's just so darn easy to fill that form?

Not to mention I usually just copy and paste my email into the 2nd field of forms anyway and I'm sure others do to.

None of this means I'm against constructive criticism, and that's the 2nd time this month I've had helpful suggestions :o)

I do keep meaning to get around to producing a more modern, clean and software-oriented site at some point - and I'll make sure it has 2 email fields ;o)

(Yes, I'm serious about that too, as that IS the kind of thing that makes a software engineer uncomfortable!)

An edit button would be so useful...

It rejects obviously incorrect format errors in email addresses even.

Apparently a lot of people don't like the confirm field....

When I'm developing it depends on the use case whether I'll use them. Personally when I'm using a site I generally prefer to see a confirm email field just for peace of mind.
Jonathan Matthews Send private email
I said this email bit only because it happened to me couple of times and I felt miserable all day (well not all day but long enough to remember).
mike66 is a stupid example...

But since it really happened i know it can happen,and besides on all register forms that you see around there is 'confirm email' field (it's there for a reason...)

And now that the issue has been mentioned to you and you refused to accept it it is even more bound to happen...now more than ever :)
Personally, I don't like "confirm email" fields, as they waste time. The exception is when you're signing up for something and you'll use your email address to log in. For a simple contact form, it seems like overkill.

The copy & paste trick doesn't always work, as some sites attempt to switch it off, to force users to enter their details twice.

Oh and I seem to remember people asking for an "edit button" here back in 2000. I guess it is still on the list ;-)
Scorpio Send private email
I can trade tens of thousands of $$ worth of stocks on pretty much any brokerage web site without typing anything twice. This seems a lot more important than some contact form email address, yet, we trust people to do it right and deal with the consequences.
GregT Send private email
Thursday, September 19, 2013
GregT, there have been some errors in that area with rather nasty consequences.  Misplaced decimal points, etc.  Guard rails are a good idea in many areas.

Gene Wirchenko
Gene Wirchenko Send private email
Almost every form that you fill in your email twice, they send a confirmation email with an activation link.

8/10 forums that claim that a moderator must approve your account when you sign up, email me back within milliseconds to say that I have been approved.
koan Send private email
@alexandar, really appreciate your gesture!
Many thanks for posting this. All is well when it ends well :-)
Delia Ene Send private email
Friday, September 20, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics