* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Site Review

Ok, I've finally got something out and online. Please review my site.

As this is version 1.0 of the site I'm sure there will be lots to change in it. The download links aren't operational yet because the apps will be hosted on Autodesk's app exchange portal. It's kind of a catch 22 because I didn't want to put the buy links in place til they are listed but part of their approval process is having the means for customers to purchase as soon they download if they choose.

http://goo.gl/sd8oRZ
TrippinOnIT Send private email
Tuesday, September 17, 2013

I took a quick look. Couple of points.

I know everybody is saying to put the "Buy Now" button right in the center but I think it would be better to put it on the right hand side.

This way I could focus more on what I am supposed to buy. I don't want to scroll to find out.

There is no address anywhere or indication where your company is located. If this was a consumer product - I would understand it.
However since you are selling to businesses and you are doing consulting as well - maybe having address displayed would be better. It's up to you of course ...

The "Contact us" form is funny. The text fields and the text area are too tall and too narrow. This is easy to fix of course.

You also have "Flowtools Solutions" and submenu "Autodesk Inventor". This doesn't look right.

The site is very simple - just two colors. This is OK with me - it's easy on the eyes. You should focus on the content initially - later one you could spend more time to make it more flashy.
Eugene D. Send private email
Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Honestly I do not understand what you do!

<<JayTek Development makes plugins ...>>

Plugins for what? This is to be plugged into what?

Are you referring to Autodesk Inventor? You shall let it clear, by the way <<save time and be productive>> is redundant you are obviously more productive if you save time, thus a better title:

The Autodesk Inventor Time-Saver
Franco Graziosi Send private email
Wednesday, September 18, 2013

@Franco - Yes, currently it is plugins for Autodesk Inventor. But it will later be for Inventor, Autocad, and MS Office. Need to make that clearer.

@Eugene -  I had forgot to turn on the About page. I do think having a real location listed is important for software being sold to businesses. They like to see that it's coming from a verifiable address. The layout of the form is funny.

Thanks for the feedback.
TrippinOnIT Send private email

My opinion, it's OK, professional enough, but a bit bland. But my main impression was - I have no clue what Inventor is and I didn't catch that your product(s) are particular to it right away. At first I was wondering if it was Excel-related or maybe even something trying to be more generic. So if I were you I would make that connection to a specific product from a specific company much more obvious.
GregT Send private email

1) Very big empty place on the left.
2) What is a blue rectangle on right top?
Alex Vasilevsky Send private email

On the main page, the left it says "FlowTools In Depth There are no posts for this blog." - I think this is better to be removed.

It's not obvious what are you selling. And "Save Time & Be Productive
Maximize your productivity." heading doesn't tell me anything...
Kuzmitskiy Dmitry Send private email
Thursday, September 26, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics