* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Popup window

How do I make that popup window that scrolls into view and asks for users email or something like that.

I tried google but obviously I don't know the correct name of it to search for
alexandar Send private email
Friday, September 13, 2013

What you're looking for is a "lightbox". There are about a billion variations out there. Some are good, some are crap. Here's one that works well: http://www.jacklmoore.com/colorbox/
Wyatt O'Day Send private email

Doesn't look to me so
Even if it can do it seems that it takes at least couple of hours to figure it out

alexandar don't be an rude he gave you a very nice solution and answered your question that you could have answered yourself.
Scott Send private email

@ Scott
How Am I being rude?
Disagreeing is not being rude, Wyatt didn't think I was rude ,why did you?
Saturday, September 14, 2013

@ Scott
Besides, this forum would have been closed down long ago if all questions that posters could have answered themselves had not been asked

Si it is a good thing that i asked here and not Google it  (which i did by the way)

OK, well to test your 2 hr claim I went for it. Took 7 minutes from the time I started downloading until I installed it, wrote a page that used it, and learned enough JQuery to get by as well as I hadn't used that. (Trivial amount - though I did have to go find JQuery and download it, took almost 10 seconds for that step.)

In other words, you must be super incompetent both to need 2 hrs to do this, and to be so damn lazy that you couldn't spend 2 hrs on something if you need it.
Scott Send private email

I may or may not be super incompetent but obviously you are super idle to have done that

Scott can you link taht page you have done i'd like to see it in action

Certainly. My consulting services are available at a rate of $1500/hr and require a $15,000 retainer paid in advance to cover the first 10 hrs of help . Email me with your bank transfer details to initiate. Payment must be cleared before any discussions take place. Any left over monies at the end of the consulting are refunded.
Scott Send private email

Also, learn to spell. All this third world "pls send me ur codez" stuff makes you look retarded.
Scott Send private email

@ Scott
I had no the slightest idea that you were insane, I always thought it cute that you hated USA so much but now I see this is something else...
Seek help
Sunday, September 15, 2013

All this time throwing a fit and whining like a child that the API of a very nice library is too hard is a waste of time for you. As is the namecalling. If you had competence and motivation you could have had it all working, shown it off, and given Wyatt a nice thanks for the helpful recommendation days ago. But you'd rather throw your little fit. Good luck with that, bro.
Scott Send private email
Monday, September 16, 2013

@ Scott
I undesratnd that being a consulting...whatever, you have to sweet talk you customers all the time and so I understand that you have to give vent to some of your frustration somewhere or other. But so far I thought we two were getting along just all right, when you jumped at me like that all of a sudden. I just wasn't prepared for that.  And by the way you seem too angry for a guy who gets 15,000 for 10h.
And please keep that 'bro' for your customers, don't dirty this forum which though sometimes aggressive still retains its high level of politness and academic tone.
Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Hi Wyatt,

Thanks for the tip about "lightbox". That was indeed what I was looking for. Hey, the one you linked to is great! I was able to get it working as I needed in 5 minutes. You're the best, thank you again for the pointer, it got me going in the right direction.

Sincerely,

Aleksander
Scott Send private email
Tuesday, September 17, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics