* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Landing Page Feedback

Have created a personal edition of our data security software called Insta-LockDown.

Below is the landing page for adwords.

http://www.copynotify.com/InstaLockDown.html

Is it OK for a quick campaign ?

Regards
Karbhari
Zarir Karbhari Send private email
Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Some quick thoughts:

I can hardly read anything on your landing page, even though I have fonts scaled up to 125% system-wide.

Two CTAs, of which Buy Now is more prominent. Hmm. What is the goal of your campaign again? I'd get rid of all links except for a big "Download Free Trial" button and "or Learn More" text link next to it.

Native speakers, correct me, but should not "Data Theft Protection" read "Protection From/Against Data Theft"?

32 Bit? Does that mean it won't work on my 64-bit Windows 7 system? And what about Windows 8?

The logo in the top left corner is too small, make it ~1.5x bigger.
Dmitry Leskov @Home Send private email

That's OK
alexandar Send private email

Thoughts...

I'm not sure what you mean by "OK for a quick campaign".  I'm just going to evaluate it like it is a software product for sale, and assume you want to sell as much as possible, right?  Right.

Almost all the fonts are ridiculously small.

The logo is too small.

You have the words "Instant Lock Down." and then the product is called "Insta-Lockdown".  This is confusing.  Is the first one just a phrase to suggest what the product does? 

The copy uses Capital Words sort of randomly like it is the 18th Century.  Like " Do not allow browser based upload of Attachments."  Why is "attachments" capitalized?

Generally, there is just not enough information to know what the service does and how it looks.  I'd rather see some screenshots and some walk-through of how to use it before I'd bother to download it.  Then I'd also want to know how much it would cost after the trial.  Also, something about you and your company.
Racky Send private email

Also, why does it only work, when on WinXP, for Service Pack 2?  It doesn't work on the (most recent and recommended) Service Pack 3?
Racky Send private email

Thank you for the feedback ... made a couple of changes , lets hope it is better :-)

http://www.copynotify.com/InstaLockDown.html

Regards
Karbhari
Thursday, September 12, 2013

So... can your app stop JPGs being both attached to emails, or inline in the email's body, and being sent out?  Because that's how I get data off my work PC to home.  You'll need to protect against that possibility.
PSB136 Send private email

attaching of jpgs in a web mail client can be stopped .. as indicated (browser based uploads can be restricted) ... we dont monitor the content of the jpg as you might have done a print - screen :-) ..

i think inline will qualify as an upload but *good point* .. must check it out.

rgds
karbhari

Browser-based uploads only?  So if I use Outlook instead, it won't stop any JPG attachments?  What about other extensions, like PNGs or BMPs?

I think any business with an established IT department will control this stuff centrally, so your market is really small companies. With this in mind, your website needs to do a much better job of convincing your prospect that this is a problem that they even need to worry about.

I too found the website design underwhelming and would suggest you look into templates, etc.

Also, if you switch off USB copy, how about firewire, bluetooth, etc? If I plug my iPhone in, to charge it, it also mounts as a USB drive, so I can drag files on/off it quite easily. Does your software prevent that?
Scorpio Send private email

Everything else aside, the price is too low.

I CAN imagine some people, travelling reps with blueprints or other such data, needing to know their laptop is locked when unattended or some such scenario - above and beyond the usual password thing.

However any app that disables so many vital functions is potentially my worst nightmare, so I want assurances it's a high quality product with support available.

I'd rather see $49.99 and a "24 Months Support - FREE!" call-out

AC
Reluctantlyregistered Send private email

@AC ...and presumably some way to unlock it all if you forget your password, or the software has a bug, or is compromised. Otherwise, it pretty much bricks your laptop.

I can't help thinking that this is a solution looking for a problem.

Well the "bricks your laptop" is exactly why I'd be nervous of entrusting a $1000 machine and $10,000 secrets to a $9.99 app.

I suspect the need is already covered by the way most computers can be set to require a password.

If someone is serious enough to try to bypass the operating system they could always hold a $300 pistol to your belly and demand the password anyway. So this product strikes me as more useful for preventing sneak thefts or situations where you need to let others use a computer, while automatically preventing them from copying...

Really is a rather limited range of scenarios.

Perhaps best positioned as part of a suite, rather than standalone?

Of course, none of this helps regarding the landing page, sorry about that.

AC
Reluctantlyregistered Send private email

"I'd be nervous of entrusting a $1000 machine and $10,000 secrets to a $9.99 app"
Especially when BitLocker is part of business versions of Windows Vista-8, and CTL-ALT-DEL will lock any version of Windows since 3.0 (I never used 1.x or 2.x).  I've used third party disk encryption since NT 3.5. 

Not that it really matters, the 3 finger lockdown is too much work, so desktop computers are always vulnerable to walk-by hacking and if you know the birthdate and employee number of your victim, you can always get a password reset for the laptop you stole before they screw up the courage to report their carelessness.  If a company has a clue about security, truly top secret information is kept on servers that only secure machines have access to. 

The #1 security threat isn't data theft, it's data vandalism.  Yup, there's nothing here to see, move along people.
Howard Ness Send private email

Thank you for the feedback ...loving it, it gives me a better idea of how different users think ....
Friday, September 13, 2013

@PSB136

The file extension does not matter, it will block any file.

The reason we have not addressed outlook as yet is that the whole idea is if someone wants to quickly copy data from your laptop, he will not use outlook as he would have to create a profile / account etc. etc.  and then send the file... the more convenient method would be to use open a browser, use something like gmail, twitter, youtube facebook or the likes and upload the data and *this* is what we want to deter.

@Scorpio

Yes, the software block *any* usb interface which connects to any sort of storage media.

Absolutely, this software is targeted to the average user / soho / travelling executives etc. and not the corporate enterprises. You are so right users dont even know they should be worried about the data they have ... point taken and appreciated !

with regards to
"I can't help thinking that this is a solution looking for a problem." 

now that was ouch statement !...but something I must consider ... how do you think we would address that perception ?

@AC @Scorpio

LOL! .. yes we have already incorporated that as we already assumed people would forget their password....

@AC

We have had several calls for an increase of price as it might not be taken seriously .. I will need to go back to the drawing board on this. I can see where you are coming from and I like the idea of 24 months FREE Support!.

The software tries to solve the scenario of deterrence of data theft where there are several users working on the same machine, different log ins are not created and all know the admin password so the owner can at least deter the copying of data .... its amazing that even in offices with established security policies , the admin password is known by all *bangs head*

@Howard Ness

The Lockout feature / CTRL - ALT - DEL option is useless in many small offices.

The software tries to solve the scenario of deterrence of data theft where there are several users working on the same machine, different log ins are not created and all know the admin password so the owner can at least deter the copying of data .... so if you lock out the machine .. no one else can work on it.

Sure it would be great if enterprise level security is applied to all but more often than not , data breaches take place because of lack simple human common sense and software not being adapted to solve realistic day to scenarios ...

Scorpio, how does drag/drop work with an iPhone?  I just tried it now and it still doesn't do it for me.  Never has, on any PC.

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics