* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Capital 'I' and how to manage it

Well this is a huge off-topic but anyway...
How do you people manage to write capital I every time when used as a personal pronoun (as in I'm) ?

Is that a habbit acquired from first schooling days (as starting new sentence with a capital) or do you use spell checker which automatically capitalize single 'i's ?

It just comes so unnutarl to me to write capital 'i's. I have to think of it all the time, and even when I do i always have couple of  "'i'm" or "i did..."

Also does it strike you as odd when you come across "' i have been..." instead of  " I have been..."
alexandar Send private email
Wednesday, September 11, 2013

>> "Is that a habbit acquired from first schooling days [..]"

Yes.

Frankly, there's no good reason to use "I" instead of "i" (other than the fact that the capitalized "I" has been used in English writing for several centuries). English is a screwy language.

Here's a good article on why we capitalize "I": http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/03/magazine/03wwln-guestsafire-t.html?_r=0
Wyatt O'Day Send private email

> does it strike you as odd when you come across "' i have been..." instead of  " I have been..."

No, but it reveals the writer to be either non-English as their first language, or uneducated.
PSB136 Send private email

Just get some software that auto-corrects "i" to "I" when it is the entire word.
Scorpio Send private email

>does it strike you as odd when you come across "' i have been..." instead of  " I have been..."

Yes.  It looks obviously wrong.  Not as willfully wrong as "mY namE is", but wrong.  One sees it a fair bit in email, texts, internet, so the sense of wrongness has been eroded to some degree.  Yes, this is inculcated into English speakers early on (whereas I occasionally still make maddening homophone errors in writing, I *never* write "i" when it should be "I").

I would be put off if I saw product copy that used "i" in this way.
Racky Send private email

If you're writing long hand it's no more trouble.

I assume you're talking of the inconvenience in pressing the shift key.

I understand that it can be even more painful on some cell phones, which make mixed case difficult. I'll never get a cell phone though so I don't know anything about that but what I've heard - typing on a dinky keyboard would just exacerbate my carpal tunnel no doubt. What horrors.

I do find it slightly annoying to use shift all the time. I often have to back space and retype, but usually not for I. I don't look at the  keyboard to type, but I do look at the screen.

Historically, "shitloads" of nouns were capitalized in English. A lot of it has been dropped as the language was regularized as part of the cult of converting schools to Prussian military training academies teaching the sheeple to be compliant and obedient.

Consider all the morons out there who think that "they" is not a legitimate neutral singular pronoun because some ignorant "teacher" told them that.

Look at this:

> When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

> In every stage of these Oppressions We have Petitioned for Redress in the most humble terms: Our repeated Petitions have been answered only by repeated injury. A Prince whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people.

That is completely normal English language punctuation.

Not only that but there were schools in rural regions teaching that style of capitalization right up until the Federal Department of Education managed to get their sticky fingers in there and normalize and regulate everything.
Scott Send private email

Anybody else notice how on the main BOS page that lists posts, every single poster (well, that I looked from scanning for a few seconds) capitalizes the first letter of their name, except alexandar?

alexandar, buddy, FYI, we also would normally spell your name 'alexandEr', I (i) am capitalizing the 'E' for emphasis, not because that's how we would actually type it.
GregT Send private email

@ Greg "alexandar, buddy, FYI, we also would normally spell your name 'alexandEr"

That's none of my business. I don't even know why I'm using that 'x' instead of normal 'ks'. That's my name: 'Aleksandar'.  I'm not changing it for the sake of your spelling idiosyncrasies... You can if it pleases you that's all right

Personally I think you should just go with Александр here. Is there a reason why not? The board supports unicode and people here are smart enough to figure it out.
Scott Send private email

@ Scott
I use Latin not Cyrillic ( i mean that's a thing of personal preference , Latin and Cyrillic are both used  by everyone here but everyone has preferred style and I'm inclined to Latin, probably just a habit )

OK well then go for Aleksandar, it really won't be a problem and makes more sense.
Scott Send private email

Or aleksandar. The ks thing being the issue.
Scott Send private email

"Consider all the morons out there who think that "they" is not a legitimate neutral singular pronoun because some ignorant "teacher" told them that."

So I'm a moron.

My teachers were themselves well read and well educated, unlike many of today's teachers.

In any case, my grammar is informed by my grammar books, no longer by my long-dead teachers.
Craig Welch Send private email
Sunday, September 15, 2013

Scott Send private email

Maybe Scott is right--they often make interesting points here.

(I know, I know...just kidding)
Racky Send private email

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics