* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Having one's photo/video...good or bad?

Do you think it is good or bad idea to show your customers who you are, I mean having your personall photos and videos ( on about page or elsewhere) ?

I have videos and I'm not sure that they are doing me good.
My logic is that as if in real life roughly 50% of people will like your face and 50% won't whatever reason might be.

Maybe people think after seing your photo ' I'm not givng this guy any money...'
alexandar Send private email
Monday, September 09, 2013

Definitely yes to the last comment.
PSB136 Send private email

I think it is good to have a photo of CEO of the company or maybe a photos of all team members (if your team is big enough).

Such photos show that there are real people behind your website.

Example:

http://www.drexplain.com/about/
MatrixFailure Send private email

Inferred from the behavior you show here in the forums it's probably better if you take down the videos.
Jeremy Morassi Send private email

@ Matrix Failure
I'm not talking about Bill Gates hiding his face...
We here are mainly 1 or 2 man companies.

@ Jeremy Morassi
Who are you?

I've seen mixed results.

Some useful tips:

If you're a woman, smile

If you're a man - do NOT smile too much

Think about the background. If messy or distracting, remove it

Consider a professional photo shoot, inc having a pro' come to your office. rather than a stuffy portarait in a studio

If there's any chance someone will leave, don't use expensive group photos...

Pro-tip - be looking in, towards the page's content. Ideally, be looking towards the most important part of the text, because people tend to glance at what others are looking at, by instinct. Yes, it works with photos too.

AC
Reluctantlyregistered Send private email

See the first example here: http://www.quicksprout.com/2013/08/01/7-conversion-optimization-lessons-learned-from-eye-tracking/ for impressive proof of AC's last point.
Richie Hindle Send private email

That's all nice points but I'm talking just simple about page or something like that (i'd give you my site for example but i just removed videos the other day...)

Where based on the face of the seller /maker a potential customer decides 'oh i don't like him...' and goes away

Maybe a blind date would be good example...You have certain expectations and the you see your date and you are utterly disapointed...sounds familiar?

Andy can I post your about page here to show the point? You look clean and confident but somebody may just read your smile as smug or too metrosexual and decide that they had better stay away from your site
(I know this sounds terrible...it is not my intention to offend at all but  your page is  just  a good example)

>>"Inferred from the behavior you show here in the forums it's probably better if you take down the videos. "

LOL
Richard McBeef Send private email

Alexandar, it sounds as though you're worried what people will think of your ugly mug?

Unless you're selling yourself as a dating service or something it's really not that relevant. People are far more interested in your product or service than what you look like.

The use of photos is mostly to overcome the weirded-out feeling people get at the idea of handing over money to... what? A website?

It was a long time ago but I recall a study which showed vending machines needed either strong branding, such as a bright red Coca Cola machine, or faces.

Not necessarily the whole machine like a giant puppet but at least pictures of faces. Any face will do. Kids, teddy bear, whatever but a face somewhere.

The most striking exception of course is amazon.com, though that site is actually known for its human reviews anyway.

Bottom line, unless you already have a strong brand, sticking a human face on there will make people more relaxed about giving you money.  You could go for a teddy bear but your real face is probably better ;o)

AC
Tuesday, September 10, 2013

@ Reluctantly...
Thanks for thorough analasys.
But that really is your opinion. I clicked on your website (linked to your username here) and I can tell you that I didn't believe a single face of several on your website. Didn't even bother to read what they said because as soon as I see one-page sell page (possibly with 'hand written' sign at the bottom) I know that's just scam.( even if it is not I assume it is based on so many of that kind).
I believe such pages sell well but this is what I thought and what I think.
Please don't think I say this to offend or belittle, I assure you this is not the case. But that's what people think (at least those who don't fall for TV infomercials).
Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Wow, Alan, I agree with alexander: your site looks *totally* like a scam.  Sorry if it's not, but it strongly comes across that way.

Interesting feedback :o)

I agree it looks a little dated now but scam, really?

Well, when it stops bringing in clients I'll change it; for now it's staying exactly as it is.

AC

@Alan -

Now, I don't think this at all because I've seen your writing here and wouldn't have a problem hiring you - but it does look that way to me too. Long copy just feels a little sullied these days but then as I understand it, it does convert. As you say, whatever works.
Jonathan Matthews Send private email

Cheers Jonathon.

One point of course is that I wouldn't use such long-format text for (most) software products.

While I enjoy working with software and 'MSVs" I always have plenty of offers for more "internet marketing" products and services, which thrive on long text.

Yes, the idea of "internet marketing" being a thing seems rather weird, seeing as how *everything* online should come under that heading!

Software appeals to me for a number of reasons, probably the 2 big ones are that the clients tend to be analytical and honest, while the product is also usually very clear-cut. You KNOW what the features are, and the clients usually split-test or compare and give honest, actionable feedback. I welcome it, as it helps me learn and I know i'm providing value.

The "IM" market is a lot more seedy. I turn away as many or more clients as I take on - and often regret the ones I say yes to. :o/

I do keep meaning to create something a little more obviously software orientated, but ironically enough that site brings in too much and I never seem to get around to it :o)

It seems a happy compromise that works, so...

AC

Yes, it's bringing clients for you, but think of how many you're NOT getting who've turned away upon seeing it.  :)
Thursday, September 12, 2013

You see the bit about living my dream?

I didn't dream about being busy ;o)

AC

If I were a giant fish, I'd be pretty turned off by your web page.
Racky Send private email

Regarding the original "face on website" question -- yes I think it is a plus to have an about us page with pictures. 

To me, it's not a matter of whether or not the person is good looking, as long as they're reasonably well groomed and not scowling. 

It's that I feel more connected to someone once I see their face.  I feel like I know them a little and now already I'm developing a little loyalty to them and their company.  I feel more inclined to trust them and think of them as an acquaintance.
Emily Jones Send private email

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics