* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Ideas for Displaying a Large Number of User Testimonials

The number of user testimonials I've got for one of my products has grown to the point where it's not practical to display them on a single web-page any more.  Actually, it's not really practical to display them on two pages.  So I am looking for some suggestions on how to display them best.  Right now I am leaning towards an industry focussed set of pages.  IE, a page with all the testimonials from medical oriented users, one from industrial oriented customers and so on.  I was also thinking about using one of those collapsing div widget things, because, well, I think they're cool.

Anyone have any suggestions on how best to utilize what's a pretty valuable amount of feedback from my users?
Mark Nemtsas Send private email
Thursday, September 05, 2013

Congrats. When I got to this point I started pruning the ones that were slightly less exuberant. Eventually it became only ridiculously ecstatic testimonials, many from known stars in industry. I have thought about randomizing with a script, but decided not to, for no reason. I have given some thought to the order and occasionally reorder them when a good one comes in. Looks like I have 15 right now shown, out of hundreds over the years.

I don't think this is the only way though, lots of ways to do it.
Scott Send private email

On collapsing divs, I think they are good when they collapse and have a close button. For expanding though, I suspect the vast majority of visitors would simply never see the text because most people just don't go clicking around on expanding stuff. Straight inline long copy, that's the ticket. The web browser scrolls, let it.
Scott Send private email

Thanks Scott.  The number has grown pretty quickly this year based on some advice I got from this forum (I believe you helped me out then too) late last year.  I'd love to hear about some good ways of making use of them better.
Mark Nemtsas Send private email

How about determining visitor's country by IP and displaying only the testimonials that came from that country or region, sprinkled with a few ones from companies with globally recognized brands (assuming you have some)?
Dmitry Leskov Send private email
Friday, September 06, 2013

>The number of user testimonials I've got for one of my products has grown to the point where it's not practical to display them on a single web-page any more.  Actually, it's not really practical to display them on two pages.

Do your users not have scroll bars? ;0)

I just list mine on one honking great page. I'm sure no-one reads more than one or two anyway. But the more there are the more 'social proof'.
Andy Brice Send private email
Friday, September 06, 2013

I have seen testimonial boxes where a random one is displayed every 10 sec or so... Look for something like that. If you are using a CMS I'm sure there are already components that do just that.
alexandar Send private email
Saturday, September 07, 2013

Certainly you should sprinkle some among your main copy close to relevant sections.

For example where you're saying how easy your product is to use, that's where you put some of the "It's really easy to use!" endorsements. 

Just make sure it's clear what is the main copy and what is text for testimonials, such as in a different font/color or in a box.

AC
Reluctantlyregistered Send private email
Saturday, September 07, 2013

User reviews for our product DiffEngineX are contained in a message board / forum.

Simple Machine Forums is free Open Source message board. I recommend it.

http://www.florencesoft.com/forum/index.php/board,2.0.html
NewToASPX Send private email
Monday, September 09, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics