* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Is my idea suitable for comercial purposes?

I work for a big company with a big windows network of servers as sap basis, every day support guy check every server and take some notes in a excel file, sometimes they arrive and a lot of things wrong, or something happened at night and they dont know wich hour that happened.

As i know programing, i developed one tool to connect to multiple server and check the status, cpu, memory, disc usage, and other important topics and to send alerts by email to support guys in the morning before they arrive about what happened with the server network in the night.

I am finishing the software and they are ready to implement, i think there is another companies with the same problem but i ask a friend network administrator in another company and he said vmware have that but he never used that, and hp have that but is too confusing, is that one oportunity to my tool?
Javier Portilla "Javo" Send private email
Thursday, August 29, 2013
Sorry my grammar, i just sleep three hourse since yesterday.
Search for "network monitoring" or "server monitoring" -- it's a very crowded space.  Lots of open source competition too (Nagios, Cacti, Munin, Groundwork, and free Spiceworks). 

BUT, there is always room for more!  Marketing is the hardest part in this niche, so know what you're getting into.
Doug Send private email
Give it a try and see! If it's a success, you win. If not, you will learn from the experience I guarantee it.
Nick Moore Send private email
Sorry, I'm not in a real sunny place at the moment, but this strikes me as really bad advice:

"Give it a try and see! If it's a success, you win. If not, you will learn from the experience I guarantee it. "
Racky Send private email
Thank so much for the reply, i develop this software based in the needs of real users (Network Administrator) thinking in solve a real world problem, also to learn how to marketing software because i want to sell my B2B MRP software which is more difficult to sell, i will try like Nick Moore said, i am sure i will learn something good, thanks all you guys.
Friday, August 30, 2013
Re. bad advice.

My point is that excessive analysis and thinking about what might or might not succeed leads to inaction and frustration. A first time entrepreneur needs to get into the market and start learning. What we call "experience" is really just making mistakes and learning from them. You have to get out there and start making those mistakes. Success will follow.
Nick Moore Send private email
Tuesday, September 03, 2013
Nick Moore,

I get your point, but I just wonder if it is perhaps too optimistic.  For example, I just read this on OnStartups[1]:

"Whoever planned this site should have thought about the hard part - launching a business model - first....Sorry to say, but someone here was sort of having this project backward and now is the time to pay for this....Not a single line of code should have been written at this stage. "

The point is, *don't* just dive in, but first put in the due diligence to see if there is a market for what you are going to do.  That is what the OP is trying to do some of by his post here.  But your answer, basically, "try it and see!" would encourage him to try anything, even trying to compete with, say, LinkedIn, which other posters here on BOS have vigorously said is a losing proposition because of their huge advantage. 

In fairness to your point, I do think there is something to be said for the sort of quixotic or "foolishly optimistic" view you encourage; I think those mental traits may carry people forward more than *over*analysis and worry and unjustified pessimism.  So maybe it is just striking the right balance?  E.g., maybe it is a bad idea to work five years, alone, starting from scratch, on another Facebook, whereas maybe it is a good idea to try programming a simple web service in six months and see what happens. 

I'm still finding my own way with all this, myself, and really can't say there is "the" answer here.  Thanks.

Racky Send private email
Tuesday, September 03, 2013
@Racky, I think you're missing the point that the guy has already written the software. It's too late for advice such as "Don't Dive in" and "Don't write another LinkdIn", however good that may be.

I don't see anything wrong with knocking on a few
doors to see if there is a demand for some software you have already written to service a real need in your own company. 
What's to lose? A few hours of your time?
GreenBean Send private email
Thursday, September 05, 2013
@GreenBean, I've heard that programming is only a small % of the effort involved in running a software business, but I've never really believed it, so, if he is essentially done with the application, then, yep, good point.  If it is only a few hours, sure, of course, try it.  My miss.
Racky Send private email
Thursday, September 05, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics