* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Anyone get sales of desktop software from the Windows 8 store?

I intially signed up to get a link to my software (desktop/win32/native based, not metro/modern compatible) in the Windows 8 store. Then I found out how many hoops I had to jump through and decided I just couldn't be bothered. Now they want me to renew my annual payment.

Before I cancel, has anyone else got a link to their desktop software in the Windows 8 store? Does it result in any sales?
Andy Brice Send private email
Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Windows 8 has a store?!?

Oh right... it asks to search the Store when cannot handle an unknown file type.

With so low a profile an average Windows 8 user will never get to the store, and the sales would be small.
Vladimir Dyuzhev Send private email
Tuesday, August 27, 2013

> Before I cancel,

Good luck with that.

I've heard a few horror stories about people being unable to cancel rebilling.  For example after having deleted their account, they get rebilled, and since their account no longer exists, there is no way to delete rebilling.

Of course they may simply be apocryphal rumours - I have no personal knowledge of the issue.
S. Tanna Send private email
Wednesday, August 28, 2013

I have got one of my software on the windows 8 store (same as you: not metro, standard windows software)

In almost one year I did 0 sales, and probably 0 download.

Standard windows software are not visible, and on some location you have to specifically search for a software to find it (it is not listed by default).

No need to renew.
Alain Bocherens (devsoft) Send private email

I'm quite glad the Windows 8 store appears to be a lame duck. I'd rather not have my most important platform muddied with an app store.
Jonathan Matthews Send private email

>In almost one year I did 0 sales, and probably 0 download.

Wow. Guess I won't be renewing then!

" I'd rather not have my most important platform muddied with an app store. "

Exactly!
Drummer Send private email

>I'm quite glad the Windows 8 store appears to be a lame duck.

I agree. I don't want MS taking 30% of my sales and getting between me and the customer.
Thursday, August 29, 2013

I was going to do that for my Desktop Software also. I decided not to because they required me to buy a VeriSign certificate ($700 a year), when I am perfectly fine using my Comodo Certificate.

Not interested at all.
John Senar Send private email
Friday, August 30, 2013

>they required me to buy a VeriSign certificate ($700 a year),

That's abusive. I don't know how MS or VeriSign can possibly justify $700/year (for basically multiply 2 large prime numbers together and checking a copy of your ID?).
Saturday, August 31, 2013

My thoughts exactly, you can't even get a "Works on Windows 7/8 logo" without a VeriSign certificate. They do offer it for $100 on your first year, but you're back to paying $500 - $700 a year afterwards.
John Senar Send private email

> That's abusive. I don't know how MS or VeriSign can possibly justify $700/year (for basically multiply 2 large prime numbers together and checking a copy of your ID?).

I agree that it's horrible.  Sounds like it is not about justifying, as much as just getting what the market will allow.  Sadly, you have big companies for whom $700/yr is "free" for all intents and purposes, and then little guys for whom $700 is going to sting.  I think many people would be delighted to make $7,000/yr with a software project, and yet then VeriSign is taking 10%!  That's not a trivial % at all.
Racky Send private email

Regarding Verisign and the Windows store ...

Verisign: Several months ago I posted about Norton's "reputation" scan.  If you scan your program using VirusTotal and then check the Additional Information screen, you can check whether you have been flagged for reputation. My program passed the Symantec scan - Symantec is Norton's parent company - but I failed the reputation scan. Again.  I had to re-submit mine for whitelisting after a minor revision change.

Verisign is also owned by Symantec. Per the Symantec tech I spoke with, if you sign your program with a Verisign cert, it will automatically pass the Norton reputation scan.

Norton is a pretty popular A/V tool, so this feels like a shakedown, How can small software vendors who are unaware of their whitelisting program build up a reputation with Norton if it blocks the installation of your software? With the legal environment in the US, I'm surprised there hasn't been a lawsuit.

###

Windows Store: Microsoft also has an App Store for Office 2013. I don't publish there, but I've heard from several sources that it's a dead end for developers as well.
Nicholas Hebb Send private email

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics