* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Best way to introduce version 2 ?

I have my version 2 ready but am not certain how I do the switch...
Do I just replace download file and update images and text and let existing PAD files do the trick (because there is already established rhythm of downloads for version 1, what if version 2 doesn't get proper treatmant by download sites and Google?)

Besides the ver2 is quite different from ver1. I'm thinking of moving ver1 to another site and let it live on its own (maybe change a name a little or so)

If i just put  the new version online what do I send to people who buy thinking that they were buying ver1 ? Should i deliver both versions for a month say?
alexandar Send private email
Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Personally, I'd say just sell it as a separate product.
Bring back anon Send private email

Personally, I'd just *sell* it as a separate product.

F**k this, I can't type today.

Well at least you tried...

Though I don't see anything wrong with either of your posts

The best part of releasing a new version is contacting all of your version 1 customers and getting a huge bump in sales when they upgrade. I'm not sure that keeping version 1 alive is the best strategy, as you'll be giving yourself additional support overheads in the long term and lose focus.

Presumably V2 has an awful lot in common with V1 or it isn't really V2 is it?
Andrew Gibson Send private email
Thursday, August 22, 2013

@ Andrew
No it is v.2 but the difference is more like v1->v6 
I haven't upgraded the application in years...
Thursday, August 22, 2013

If your v2 is more like v6, why don't you release it under a new name and grandparent your v1 customers?

You may wish to consider what Corel did with Bibble:

Bibble was a RAW converter with two editions: Lite, priced at $100,  and Pro ($250 IIRC). I had bought Bibble Lite shortly before Corel acquired its maker Bibble Labs. Corel substantially reworked Biblle and released it as a new product with just one edition  - Corel AfterShot Pro, priced just above Bibble Lite. All Bibble customers received a limited time offer to upgrade for just $20 (which I'm glad I've taken as Corel has improved the product a lot.) Corel then received a lot of good PR in the photo community, for free.
Dmitry Leskov @Home Send private email
Friday, August 23, 2013

Wow, Corel still exists!
Friday, August 23, 2013

Surprising, isn't it? I was looking for an alternative to Illustrator a couple of days ago and found them. Their stuff still looks great, unfortunately priced to high to be worth coming up the learning curve.
Jonathan Matthews Send private email
Friday, August 23, 2013

I bought CorelDRAW 3 for Windows 3.1 a long, long time ago.  Now owned by a private equity fund, Vector Capital, Corel has been buying up properties in the home video niche like InterVideo, Ulead, Pinnacle and Roxio.  In the same stable, you will find WinZIP, Wordperfect Office, Paint Shop Pro, Painter, Designer (formerly Micrographx Designer), Ventura Publisher and CorelCAD.    Most of their sales appear to be online, and the overall product offering is a dog's breakfast, but there are some real gems in the portfolio.
Howard Ness Send private email
Friday, August 23, 2013

Well, I was not going to hijack this topic, but if anyone is interested in buying something from Corel, make sure to subscribe to their email newsletter and wait for a sale season. They e.g. had a 50+% off deal on Painter 12 on Black Friday 2012 that I'd almost taken ($199 instead of $429).
Dmitry Leskov @Home Send private email
Saturday, August 24, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics