* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Stripe is live in the UK

A lot of people seem to have good things to say about Stripe.
I have no experience of it, as it was not available in the UK,

It seems that has changed :-) 

https://stripe.com/blog/introducing-stripe-uk
GreenBean Send private email
Friday, August 16, 2013

I've been part the UK beta for the past few months, and it's been great :)

*Much* lower fees than FastSpring, and it was *much* easier and faster to get started with too.

Support is a bit slow (generally takes 2-3 days), but that is my only complaint.

Multi-currency support was on my wishlist - and that has now been granted, so I can accept GBP, USD and EUR payments without needing a seperate account for each. I'm still waiting on confirmation about whether they take a commission for the conversion though.

I'm still using FastSpring for EUR and USD payments, but plan to ditch it for Stripe ASAP!
Cocowalla Send private email
Friday, August 16, 2013

> I'm still waiting on confirmation about whether they take a commission for the conversion though

Forget that, they've updated their pricing page to make it clear:

https://stripe.com/gb/help/pricing

So they take 2%, which seems good to me.

By way of comparison, FastSpring takes 3% at point of sale for non-USD transactions, then *another* 3.5% when sending to your GBP bank account.
Friday, August 16, 2013

Thanks for the info.

It sounds like it might shake the payments business up a bit here in old Blightey.  :-)
GreenBean Send private email
Friday, August 16, 2013

I too have been waiting for Stripe to arrive in the UK. It is a great model, especially the pricing.
Scorpio Send private email
Friday, August 16, 2013

I'd be very interested to hear how fellow UK software businesses find the process of setting up Stripe.

I recently switched from a traditional online reseller to a service similar to Stripe, and I found the registration process to be a huge pain - many documents required, much printing and signing and posting of physical pieces of paper, every step of the way (with no indication up front that it would be like that).
Richie Hindle Send private email
Friday, August 16, 2013

@Ritchie

For me it was a doddle. One online sign-up form where you entered your address, company number etc, then the next day my account was live.

I had it integrated into my website in just one evening (it really is very developer-friendly).

The only downside I see of using Stripe over a 'reseller' such as FastSpring is that you need to handle sales tax/VAT yourself.
Friday, August 16, 2013

Interesting -  much lower fees than FastSpring.
It would be a bit more work though - I don't think it accepts PayPal, so I'd have to have to set up a separate PayPal payment option.  Also I'd have to sort sales taxes for each country - something FastSpring does automatically.
DV Send private email
Friday, August 16, 2013

@DV

Being based in the UK, and not being VAT registered, sales tax/VAT isn't an issue for me :)
Friday, August 16, 2013

The pricing looks good but it suffers the same problem as all other payment processors I've come across which keeps me using Paypal exclusively - I can't get my money out instantly! With Paypal I make a sale and I can transfer it to my bank instantly. With services like this I have to wait for a 7 day rolling payment!!?? What's all that about? I've made a sales and I want my money - what's the problem?
Gazinhio Send private email
Friday, August 16, 2013

@Gazinhio

Aside from Stripe we still (for now) use FastSpring for non-GBP payments. I think they hold our money for *2* weeks, so I'm quite happy with 1 week with Stripe.
Friday, August 16, 2013

One issue I don't see anyone mentioning is how your customers feel about it?

I've never heard of "stripe" and if I saw that while considering an impulse purchase would probably skip the idea.

If a larger, more serious purchase I'd try  a quick search..

I have NO idea what such a search would reveal to a casual user, as Google has mangled and "personalised" my results so severely that this company comes up as the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th result (Google obviously knows I'm into software and visited the link above earlier!)

Anyone know how that would play out for a casual searcher?

AC
Reluctantlyregistered Send private email
Friday, August 16, 2013

@Gazinhio: you can listen to http://techzinglive.com/page/939/168-tz-interview-patrick-collison-stripe to find out why Stripe needs 7 day rolling payment.

IIRC, it takes few days for them to receive payments from payment processors that actually charges your credit card, so they round it up to 7 days for safety. Plus it's a buffer for fraud detection.

PayPal doesn't have this problem (in case of payments between paypal accounts).
Krzysztof Kowalczyk Send private email
Friday, August 16, 2013

@AC: users are not presented with Stripe branding. It's no like PayPal in that regard.

Here's a sample checkout page built with Stripe: https://foliohd.com/register/premium?plan=pro

It's just a standard credit card processing form.

Given the number and quality of companies using Stripe (https://stripe.com/gallery) it looks like a safe bet.
Krzysztof Kowalczyk Send private email
Friday, August 16, 2013

@Reluctantlyregistered

Unlike FastSprint etc, with Stripe you build the form right in your own website, so the customer doesn't need to see who the payment processor is.
Friday, August 16, 2013

Certainly looks interesting from a cost POV - although I guess a fair bit more effort than FS to set up initially? One thing I like very much about FS is the customer service - fast and helpful. Another is the fact that they handle local sales taxes, which I guess would be a pain to do yourself.
I may look into it though, as that 2 or 3 percent difference will add up in the long term (hopefully :) )

matt
Matthew Fender Send private email
Saturday, August 17, 2013

This seems like a good payment service but it does not seem to offer the features of most software payment processors (correct me if I'm wrong)

I use Fastspring and here is the functionality I would like/need to add if I used stripe:

Bank/wire transfers, Checks and Paypal
Pricing tiers
pricing shown in local currency based on IP address
Handling of VAT for EU
Fraud protection
Database of license keys for each product
Instant web fulfillment after payment
Emailing of license code and download links

For me Fastspring work reliably and although I could save a few hundred dollars a month by implementing the above I don't think it is worth the effort and would rather work on improving my products.

However if Ejunkie add Stripe I might be tempted!
Ralph R Send private email
Saturday, August 17, 2013

I think Stripe and Fastspring are both great.

Stripe is cheaper but it is much more basic, it just handles payments. You have to do everything else yourself including the web front end, license generation, international tax compliance, etc. etc.

So you can't compare them directly on price.
Nick Moore Send private email
Tuesday, August 20, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics