* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

What to do with similar name domain names?

Hello. I have been using one domain name for my software business for over 10 years and it has built up some good Google karma that I don't want to lose.

I have also been gathering similar name domain names which might be accidentally typed in when looking for my website. I purchased these domains to ensure that someone else doesn't get them and try to skim off my customers. For example, if my company name is xyz software, I own xyzsoftware.com, xyz-software.com, xyzsoftwareinc.com, etc.

The domains are all registered with one registrar. Should I put up a simple redirect page on the domains, or use a permanent redirect, or? I want to make sure I don't do something to jeopardize to penalize my SEO ranking, and I don't know if a permanent redirect could cause my main domain to inherit bad karma, etc.
B2B Micro ISV Send private email
Thursday, August 15, 2013

I don't think you'll ever get them all.  :-)
I just reserve the major TLD's (.org, .net, .com) and maybe some secondary tld's like .info or .us.

If there's a very common misspelling (misspelling.com vs mispelling.com), sure go ahead.

It comes down to how much you want to spend each year. 
You can spend $1k easy if you want to get them all. And then someone will come along and hit you with a (your-company)sucks.com, or replace the letter I with number 1 for leek spelling (ala  m1crosoft.com). 

I'd rather spend the money on a good validated ssl certificate to build trust on my legit domain than try to collect all the possible spellings and misspellings a competitor might target.
Darren Send private email
Friday, August 16, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics