* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Simple large file share for users to submit files

A really simple question, but one I don't seem to be able to solve on my own.
Is there a really simple file-sharing service anywhere that I can point users to where they can upload large files so that I can get them - *without* the user having to sign up for a service, invite me to their folders etc, or to use FTP? If this sort of feature is available from the obvious players like DropBox, then for the life of me I can't fathom it.

What I really want to be able to do is, when  a user has an issue with a large file, typically 10's to low 100's MB, simply send them a url which will be a webpage to a nice upload facility to a private folder of mine. I don't want them to have to register or do anything remotely technical, so just giving them access to a public FTP space is also out. I don't mind paying for this service.

It would be even better if this service had some sort of webapp that was able to compress the file automatically before upload, as there is a lot of compression to be had in these files typically. Unfortunately even asking a user to compress a file can sometimes be a bit much.

cheers,
Matt
Matthew Fender Send private email
Thursday, August 15, 2013

I've been using this for years:

http://www.sendspace.com/flashupload.html

Go there, upload a file, and links are made for download.  No signing up.  Max 300 MB per upload.
PSB136 Send private email

BTW, there is an option to sign up, but it's not mandatory.  It's only if you need to delete your uploads, etc.

Thanks very much - *exactly* what I was looking for!

cheers,
Matt

No worries.  Also, you don't need to specify a recipient and your own email in the second step after selecting a file -- just click the big blue "Upload" button instead, to generate the links.

Sendspace looks really good.
Your users still have to go online and send you the URL afterward the upload though.
What you could do is abstract the details of sendspace behind a button in your application. :-)
 All the user would have to do would be click that, find the file and click Send
Drummer Send private email

If you would prefer to host your own simple file sharing service (you don't want to share the files with third party services), it is easy to download, configure (edit),  and install the "files.cgi" script from http://home.comcast.net/~mmogilvi/software/index.html
on any UNIX web server.

It can handle multi-gigabyte files, assuming the browser and web server don't choke on them.
Matthew Ogilvie Send private email
Friday, August 16, 2013

"Your users still have to go online and send you the URL afterward the upload though."

How are you supposed to download something if they don't tell you where they put it?
Friday, August 16, 2013

Thanks for the advice guys. An in-app button would be nice I suppose - but then I could just upload to FTP from the app - but the hassles of setting that up, getting the user to select the file and probably security warnings when my app starts sending stuff etc. I think the sendspace fits the bill nicely - and has already worked for one user. It was the registration/inviting users etc that went with some of the other products that I was having issues with, especially with users who didn't speak such good English.
The CGI script is a nice idea as well, my site is hosted on windows though unfortunately.

cheers all,
Matt
Saturday, August 17, 2013

"How are you supposed to download something if they don't tell you where they put it? "

They don't tell you, your application does.
Drummer Send private email
Saturday, August 17, 2013

In case the files are bigger than 300Mb then you can try the trial version.

http://diskountz.com/satak-spliter/

Regards,
Syed Send private email
Friday, September 06, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics