* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

20% of my visitors are not using Windows

I'm selling a Windows utility. 20% of my visitors arrive from a handheld device, Linux or Mac. Some of them DO download the PC installer, despite the landing page clearly stating that it is a WINDOWS utility. Not all of these people are looking for non-PC software. Some of them return with a Windows client and download the trial, I have several sales like that. But many of them don't return.

I think I'll replace the download button if the visitor is not sitting behind a Windows PC and I'll display a direct warning (like "This is a Windows utility, please return from a PC") and ask for an email address to send a reminder. That's the best I can do.

Do you guys handle this problem? Does it have to be handled at all?
Zka Send private email
Wednesday, August 14, 2013

I don't see it as a problem.

So someone on Linux hits download.  The worst that can happen is they can't get it working and so they don't buy your software. Which they weren't going to do anyway.

Also maybe they are downloading it to copy onto a Windows PC that's not on the net.
Nick Moore Send private email

Yes, but I want to increase the chance that they WILL return with a compliant PC to download it.
Zka Send private email

I run Windows (Parallels) on a Mac. Most of my browsing happens on the Mac and I also download Windows EXEs on the Mac. I then switch to Windows (it is a simple Control+Arrow press on the keyboard) to install it.

Downloading on a different OS doesn't mean that it is unusable.
AK Send private email

"I think I'll replace the download button if the visitor is not sitting behind a Windows PC and I'll display a direct warning (like "This is a Windows utility, please return from a PC") and ask for an email address to send a reminder. That's the best I can do."

OMG, that's a terrible idea!  Who are you to tell me how to download your apps?  My PC was replaced recently and I was using a friend's Mac.  So if I wanted to download your app to a USB stick, your idea would basically tell me to go to hell.  Thanks.
PSB136 Send private email
Thursday, August 15, 2013

Further:  I download Windows apps on my iPhone, too, to transfer to my PC later when I'm ready.  Alienate me if you like, but that just means I won't be buying from you.  Think, man.  You simply don't stop people trying to get your products!  Are you in business or not?

Of course I would still provide a direct download URL. I just want to avoid people forgetting my app just because they happened to discover the website while not using their PC.
Zka Send private email

Just read my replies and boy, were they excitable!  Sorry about that.  Didn't mean to rip your head off over it.

Anyway, the best way to make sure someone doesn't forget your app while browsing it just to let them download it.  :)
Friday, August 16, 2013

No problem :)
Zka Send private email
Friday, August 16, 2013

To add my 2p, it wouldn't even occur to me to download an exe to a mobile device, probably not even to my mac. It's unlikely I would enter an email address for a reminder but I don't know of any better alternative.

When I revamp my site later this year anyone not on windows / ios will be invited first to enter an address to get a reminder. Second, be invited to check out my webapp product which has some crossover functionality. Underneath but no less prominent will be the normal download links.

I'd love to be able to test permutations of the above but it's hard to imagine how that will work given that there's inherently more than one browser involved.

As a technical addendum to the email idea, it would be interesting do make the download urls in the email unique and to repeatedly remind the user about the download at intervals if it isn't used (of course with an option in each email to stop the reminders).
Jonathan Matthews Send private email
Friday, August 16, 2013

"it wouldn't even occur to me to download an exe to a mobile device"

My iPhone is my only web access when away from home, so if I come across something I want to download, I use Safari to do it.  It saves downloads to Google Drive for you, which you can get later on a PC.
Friday, August 16, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics