* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Another topic for changing product name (need advice with Pad)

What is Pad?
http://pad.asp-software.org/
My product has a Pad file which scans by many download archives, and when I change the program version in this file, for example, they update information about my program on their download archives. In this case how correctly to change the name of the program? Do I need create a new Pad file with new name of my my product or just change the name of the program in old Pad file? But I'm not sure that many sites will allow to change the name of the program for listings in their websites.
Don Pedro Send private email
Tuesday, August 13, 2013

*Generic comment about how pad files and download sites are useless or even worse than useless here*

AC
Reluctantlyregistered Send private email
Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Pad files = bad + spam central.
PSB136 Send private email
Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Not all agree with this comments.

LOL, you can't disagree with facts.  I uploaded a PAD file once, and had to change all my email addresses (from info@, support@, etc) because I was spammed by hundreds of companies ever since.  Try it for yourself!  :)

I already tried and was spammed only to public@mycompany.com address that created especially for pad file and for spam. All others are ok.

Don, yes, but the PAD file asks for your info, support, etc email addresses.  I was naive and gave them away.  I learned my lesson quickly, that PAD files are dangerous.  Haven't used one since.
Thursday, August 15, 2013

Pad files are still useful.  I've changed a product name in a pad file once, and it worked as expected. Everything updated ok, including the descriptions.

I suggest adding your pad file manually to the few trusted shareware sites out there,  rather than blasting your pad out to 1000's of spam shareware sites with automated software.
Darren Send private email
Friday, August 16, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics