* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Launched Jetviz: Better than Snagit. $9 limited special.

Hi guys,

We just launched Jetviz. a screenshot markup and visual communication app. The website is www.jetviz.co. Currently only for Windows, and a Mac version is coming soon.

The price is right: $9.

Would love your feedback.
Jetviz Send private email
Sunday, August 04, 2013

What is Snapo ?

I found it tiring on my eyes to read your website: not enough contrast and the font makes it harder.
koan Send private email
Sunday, August 04, 2013

Thanks,  Koan.

Snapo was the former name, and we left some remnants of it on the page. We'll also try to make the page easier on the eyes.
Sunday, August 04, 2013

Re: $9 is launch special. You should first quote the normal price, e.g. "$49, but for launch special $9".

Windows 8 Smartscreen prevented the setup from starting. You may want to address that.

24 hours is not enough to try. Especially in business environment, where a task may be spread over a couple of weeks easily.

Right after start I'm lost what to do. Only after some moving mouse around I realized that Capture is a button, not a title. You MUST have  an in-app tutorial.

Using Magnify was equally confusing. The end result is good, but it took me some frustrated clicks. Expect some of your users abandon the app before they reach the results (which are amazing, btw).

There is no clear "fixate the result" action. I was expecting something like "Apply" after I have chosen all settings for Magnify, and before I move to the next one.

Couldn't apply fade or corners at all. Whatever I do, I just do not see the result on the image. I must be doing something wrong, but at this point I'm annoyed enough to stop using it.

In short -- good potential, but the UI is not intuitive.

P.S. Then suddently Corners worked, but I totally do not understand why.
Vladimir Dyuzhev Send private email
Sunday, August 04, 2013

1. hard to read shady fonts on dark background
2. downloaded, installed on WinXp, got this:

C:\Program Files\Jetviz\jetviz.exe is not a valid Win32 application
Dima Send private email
Sunday, August 04, 2013

The new font size and colour scheme is much better.

I don't understand why you didn't use Jetviz to create the examples you mention in the Uses page.

No one cares about your DRM strategy. Just say easy to use, easy to install, etc etc.

You need a screencast. How about creating and annotating 30 different types of screenshot in 60 seconds ?
koan Send private email
Monday, August 05, 2013

> No license keys. This may seem like a losing strategy, but research shows that most users are honest, and those that want to pirate will pirate anyways.

Most users are honest, but you're taking that to an extreme that wasn't meant. Most users of Winzip and Rar never pay for their licenses (my good honest self included), even though the nag screen does not mean it's free software.

Unless you're expecting download numbers to match the 2 above products, no license is not a winning strategy.
Marlee Ammon Send private email
Monday, August 05, 2013

Would have liked to scene more screenshots on the website. A quick video showing the screen capture process would definitely help. After installing took a few moments to figure out what did what.

Adding an option to switch windows before the capture starts by having an always in front start button would be nice.

Took me a moment also to figure out how to actually make a window to copy. Even though the windowing is similar to the Snipping tool in Windows 7 it wasn't apparent. After using CAD for many years full screen cross hairs had me in the mind set to click, move the mouse, click for the opposite corner. Click and drag was not intuitive for me at least.

But the major show stopper was, I couldn't get it to actually capture anything except for the random tries on the desktop. What I did get to capture the editing process was confusing. From what I got to work seemed promising, but my image went away and I couldn't get it back.

You may want to consider another way to highlight or say what tools are in use. Perhaps some type of history pane or side panel like layers in photoshop/paint.net. Having the tool use and selection occur on the same control is confusing.

Last thing is a feature request. The ability to place cursors in the image.
TrippinOnIT Send private email
Monday, August 05, 2013

Oh yea, is all the sample documents opening when you start the program limited to the free version only?
What do you get with the paid version?
Is it a different executable from the downloaded version?
Is there the splash screen about the 24 hour trial?

The website reads like you pay for licenses and other than maybe an email confirmation you get nothing. Doesn't necessarily make you want to buy the software especially with stressing how DRM free it is. I think the download link should navigate to a page with a download link on it. The way it is now lets you think you will be going to a page to see what you're going to be downloading. I like to see file names or a listed download file and description even if there's only one link. Suddenly downloading from a header link makes me nervous and think the only goal is to trick you into downloading the file.
TrippinOnIT Send private email
Monday, August 05, 2013

Guys, thanks a lot. Really.

We're taking steps to add your feedback IMMEDIATELY.
I'm going to pester some of you on email.

Please, MORE CRITICISM!

Special thanks to Koan, Marlee, Vladimir and TrippinOnIT
Monday, August 05, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics