* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Replace RSS?

Since Google discontinued its RSS service I have personally felt the pain.. Tried to use other services but couldn't find anything to match the plain old Google service. Just the last one I tried The Old Reader went bust last week announcing that they can't cope with all the magnitude of users moved to them from Google..

Now, I post the news from the site through RSS feeds and wonder if other users also went through something like this. Would it be a better idea to use Twitter instead? Most of my posts are very short notices for updates. I don't intend to engage in conversations or have discussions, just one way news pulse for those interested once or so a month. Is Twitter good for this?
Dima Send private email
Thursday, August 01, 2013

Did you found and tried BazQux Reader (www.bazqux.com)? It's a fast and reliable look-a-like of Google Reader and supported by several mobile apps.

Highly recommended!
Marc Send private email

@Marc, thanks, I will try... but the more of a question here is whether the rss is the most effective medium to communicate the buzz.
Dima Send private email

I've been using Newblur since the announcement and I prefer it WAY more than Google Reader.
Bring back anon Send private email

Oops, RSS + email + blog post is best way to spread the news I would assume.
Bring back anon Send private email

Don't abandon rss.

You can use a service like twitterfeed.com or ifttt.com to post your rss contents to a twitter account and have both channels working for you.
lm Send private email
Friday, August 02, 2013

I use both Twitter and RSS for announcements, and I don't see any reason not to.  One blip in the RSS landscape doesn't make it a dead technology.  (And we're now told that The Old Reader is going to be rescued - we'll see.)
Richie Hindle Send private email
Friday, August 02, 2013

The Old Reader
NewsBlur
Feed Wrangler
Digg Reader
Feedbin
Feedly
Fever
Yoleo
Nick Moore Send private email
Friday, August 02, 2013

...and the myriad of desktop RSS clients (including the majority of modern email clients)
lm Send private email
Friday, August 02, 2013

I don't care for what the hip kids from the valley do. I'll keep using RSS as long as there will be websites offering a RSS feed.

And tbh I never found Google Reader pretty usable/useful. I stick to my good old desktop RSS reader. (NetNewsWire 3.x)
Jeremy Morassi Send private email
Friday, August 02, 2013

Keep using RSS. Use twitter to if you must but RSS I think is best for desktop notifications.

It may be just me but every time I look at a twitter feed I feel as though I'm late to the conversation and everyone's talking at once. And it all still feels one sided. (Is twitter even supposed to be a conversation?)

At least with RSS I know its intended to be one way. And I can read at my own pace.
TrippinOnIT Send private email
Monday, August 05, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics