* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Stayed with VB6, dodged a bullet?

With rumours that Microsoft is deprecating .Net somewhat, did people with vb6 applications do the right thing not porting them to VB.net?

On a related note, if you were to pick another language/framework to port a small business vb6 CRUD application to, today, what would it be?
Drummer Send private email
Tuesday, July 30, 2013

> With rumours that Microsoft is deprecating .Net somewhat

WUT?!?!?

Any link to those rumours?
Vladimir Dyuzhev Send private email
Tuesday, July 30, 2013

> if you were to pick another language/framework to port a small business vb6 CRUD application to

Windows desktop-only? VB.NET :)
Vladimir Dyuzhev Send private email
Tuesday, July 30, 2013

"Any link to those rumours? "

Lot's of little things, like, maybe:
http://odetocode.com/blogs/scott/archive/2013/05/15/where-is-net-headed.aspx
Tuesday, July 30, 2013

>> "With rumours that Microsoft is deprecating .Net somewhat"

That's false. Although I am mildly interested where this crap was propagated.
Wyatt O'Day Send private email
Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Oh, speculation based on a screenshot of a webpage (that has since changed) and what *wasn't* said at a single panel at a conference.

Ugh.
Wyatt O'Day Send private email
Tuesday, July 30, 2013

From the link-within-a-link:

“The biggest advantage I have with Microsoft is I don’t have to go to any other vendor for any solution -- I can go to one partner for all of my operating systems, all of my development environment and all of my infrastructure tools,” he said. “Why would I waste time looking at another third-party solution?”

Nice!
GregT Send private email
Tuesday, July 30, 2013

"With rumours that Microsoft is deprecating .Net somewhat"
And I just got through asking about bundling the framework...
Deprecating it to do what exactly? html5 and javascript?web api from command line?
codingreal Send private email
Tuesday, July 30, 2013

What makes me feel powerful, comfortable and safe with .NET:

- Its a VM based platform, hence a lot safer and easier to program than using native/direct meory allocation (C, C++, others).

- The C# language is the perfect hybrid between a simple-as-java, plus funcional (You cannot live without Lambdas after take advantage of them!) and dynamic styles.

- .NET has a huge and mature library with very productive features: LINQ, Task Parallel Library, Entity-Framework, etc...

- The MS cloud platform (Azure) can programmed using .NET based Web-Roles, Web-Roles, etc.

- Its Visual Studio IDE is increasingly based on it (now its UI is XAML/WPF based).

I'm doing some JavaScript programming, and I miss a lot of .NET capabilities just in Exchange to support crossplatform visibility thru web browsers (which is the only thing JS gives me).
Néstor Sánchez A. Send private email
Tuesday, July 30, 2013

With rumours that internal combustion engine-based cars are going to be deprecated by electric cars, did I dodge a bullet by sticking with my horse?

---

I used VB from day one of VB1 through to VB6 and it was awesome, as I was using C/C++ and MFC before. In 2002, I switched to C# and everything was awesome again. I can't imagine being stuck in a timewarp with VB6 (released around 15 years ago I believe).

As for alternative platforms, HTML5, CSS, JavaScript and jQuery are a pretty compelling combination. I've been mixing them with C# .NET and SQL Server on the back-end for a variety of projects, big and small, with great results.
Scorpio Send private email
Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Thanks for the answers,

I guess the consensus is that there's no sign that MS are moving away from .net.
Wednesday, July 31, 2013

> I guess the consensus is that there's no sign that MS are moving away from .net.

The right phrase would be 'wishful thinking' :)
Jeremy Morassi Send private email
Thursday, August 01, 2013

I loved VB6 for its simplicity and productive IDE but after using VB.net for about 6 years I'm starting to quite like it! and now maintaining VB6 code can be a chore.

If you decide to port it then also have a look at Delphi and XOJO
Ralph R Send private email
Friday, August 02, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics