* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Google adwords enhanced:  "Tablets with full browsers" bid?

So, the new Google enhanced adwords campaigns are upon us.

Although it is possible to adjust the bid for "Mobile devices with full browsers", the option for "Tablets with full browsers" appears to be locked to the desktop bid.  I cannot for the life of me find a way to adjust that tablet bid, and so far it's just provided a high count of expensive bounces.

Has anyone found a way to adjust the bid for "Tablets with full browsers", or are we doomed to see our ad-spend jacked up by accidental fat-finger clicks on iPads?
anonforthisgoog Send private email
Thursday, July 25, 2013
As far as I am aware, you can't adjust the bid for tablets. You just have to suck it up. Annoying, isn't it?

See also:
Andy Brice Send private email
Thursday, July 25, 2013
Yes, there's no way to change it.

Their (public) reasoning is that they can't tell the difference for convertible devices. But convertible devices are a tiny proportion of the market and may well stay that way. For me that logic just doesn't stack up.

I filed a complaint with adwords and went through the whole thing with them on the phone. I suggest others complain too.
Jonathan Matthews Send private email
Thursday, July 25, 2013
Worth noting that there are things you can do to try and increase conversions from tablet users:

1. A while ago Dave Collins suggested what he called the "smart downloads" model. Detect the user isn't on your compatible platform and give them a field where they enter their email address, they're then sent an email containing download information for the right platform. A sort of reminder to themselves.

2. You can also try to redirect them to something more appropriate to them. Most people aren't in this position I guess but when I get around to implementing it I'll be suggesting to users coming into my DeepTrawl site on a tablet that my CloudTrawl product may be better for them.
Thursday, July 25, 2013
It's just dawning on me how much the 'enhanced' campaigns which have been forced upon users really do suck.

I don't want to advertise on mobiles, but am forced to, which is extra pennies for Google and less for me.

Google used to be cool, now they just suck
Kevin Taylor Send private email
Thursday, July 25, 2013
@Kevin That's the kind of growing sentiment I've seen here that I tried to impress on the Goole guy I spoke to.

It's sad that's it's now difficult to recommend Adwords to people just starting out even though there may be no competition in the niche they're aiming at. It makes no sense for anyone.
Thursday, July 25, 2013
Complaining won't help, as this is a problem that really only affects advertisers who want to sell to PC users - us lot, basically, and we're only a tiny portion of Adwords income.

I do some web design work for a family member's eCommerce site. 30% of their traffic comes from tablets now, and 5% from smart phones. A click from a tablet user is just as valuable as a click from a computer user. Sales are as strong.

I know it's anecdotal, but this is probably widespread in all areas that are not PC software sales. Sucks for us, but probably makes perfect sense to everyone else.
Marlee Ammon Send private email
Thursday, July 25, 2013
>I don't want to advertise on mobiles

I you are using cpc bids you can set the mobile bid adjustment too -100%. There is no bid adjustment for tablets however.
Andy Brice Send private email
Thursday, July 25, 2013
@Marlee - if that's true why let us set different bids for phones?
Thursday, July 25, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics