* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Users will hate Download.com

Today I tried installing a program downloaded from Download.com.

The whole installation process scared me to death.

Download.com wraps most of the programs with its own installer. It FORCES user to install multiple toolbars. No choice to opt-out of it when installing.

It first showed me EULA of one toolbar. But the next screen showed EULA of yet another toolbar. I thought that was it. But then yet another toolbar as part of custom installation.

I immediately stopped the installation. I am just not going to use Download.com to get my software.

I request everyone here to shoot an email to Download.com expressing your resentment towards this.

Thanks.
Gautam Jain Send private email
Saturday, July 20, 2013

Ok. With further research I found that there is a "Direct Download Link" just below the regular green Download Now button on their products pages.

Ex: http://download.cnet.com/RecentX/3000-2344_4-10445095.html?tag=mncol;1

This link gives you access to the installer directly instead of the CNet installer wrapper.

But still, first time visitor of Download.com wouldn't know the difference. Only regular users may understand what "Direct Download Link" means.

Thanks
Gautam Jain Send private email
Saturday, July 20, 2013

This is hardly news. Download.com turned to the "dark side" several years ago. As their business model seems to be more or less exclusively based on revenue derived from bundling toolbars I don't think emailing them to complain is going to help.

I think a better course of action is try and educate people on why toolbars and hijacked search pages  are a bad thing. I've been thinking of adding something to my download pages that specifically highlights the fact that nothing is bundled with the installer and this no additional software is installed with my products.

However, as revenue from PC software continues to drop, more and more authors are being tempted to the "dark side", bundling Conduit, Open Candy etc. This is having a knock on effect of degrading the ISV industry as a whole, as customer trust is eroded to nothing.
Andrew Gibson Send private email
Saturday, July 20, 2013

No, not news in fact we've discussed this a few times here. After telling them to remove the toolbar rubbish from my product 2 times and them "accidentally" re-adding it both times I eventually insisted they remove it entirely from download.com. I just can't be associated with that.

The real kicker is they (& other download sites) actually use adwords to advertise on our product names then bundle their cr*p. It boggles the mind. Google have updated their T&C's to try and outlaw this... it's worth complaining to them.
Jonathan Matthews Send private email
Saturday, July 20, 2013

As user I don't like Download.com for this behaviour.

As seller I work with Download.com because they brings several sales monthly.

Initially I thought to ask them to remove all my products. But they removed their CNET installer from my product and I agreed to keep my products.

Recently I added my new product to CNET and it appeared without any modifications - just my installation file.

I don't like Download.com, but they help my business. If they give more downloads to my products why not to use it?
Igor Kokarev Send private email
Sunday, July 21, 2013

I agree with your logic, I'd find it hard to pass up verifiable sales.

> they removed their CNET installer from my product and I agreed to keep my products.

I'd check regularly that they don't re-add it. My experience suggests they may.
Sunday, July 21, 2013

Jonathan,

I ask my customers on the order page where they learned about my product. So I see "cnet" a couple or more times per month.
Sunday, July 21, 2013

Just make your exe do an MD5 check on itself to see if its the original unmodded product that you built.  If not, warn the user and don't install.
PSB136 Send private email
Monday, July 22, 2013

*It's
Monday, July 22, 2013

It will not work, because CNET installer unpacks original installer to temp folder and then run it. The application can't detect this situation.
Monday, July 22, 2013

I don't like bundling either,  and I don't send my visitors there. But Cnet moves software for me. They also rank high in Google.

If people are going to download software from Cnet, then they may as well download my software.
Darren Send private email
Wednesday, July 24, 2013

> If people are going to download software from Cnet, then they may as well download my software.

A very good point.  Any advertising is good advertising.
Wednesday, July 24, 2013

> The application can't detect this situation

Make your exe pop open at window at first run that says something like: "Warning: If you did not download this product from www.mysite.com, then it may have installed other software or viruses on your PC without your knowledge."
Wednesday, July 24, 2013

PSB136 - I wouldn't advise that. People don't read, they just see a warning like that and panic, I can see a lot of aborted installs ensuing.
Thursday, July 25, 2013

First run of the installed app, not of the installation process.
Friday, August 02, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics