* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Marketing techniques for my startup simulation game

I'm building a startup simulation game for iOS called Hipster CEO and would appreciate other entrepreneurs advice on how to market it (particularly those in the mobile app space).

I've set up a website over at www.hipsterceo.com where I'm collecting email addresses for notification of the launch.

So far my marketing attempts have been:

- posting on HackerNews and other entreprenurial/startup/app forums
- writing blog posts (on my website http://getchoocreations.com/blog) about startups
- Doing interviews with popular guys in the startup space (Rob Walling, Daniel Tenner etc) and posting them as blogs
- Google Adwords (now switched off as conversion to mailing list was terrible)

Since my customer lifetime value is quite low I can't spend too much on acquiring individual customers.

Any advice appreciated! Thanks!
Gerard Kelly Send private email
Monday, July 15, 2013
Well... what would you do in the game?

Reluctantlyregistered Send private email
Monday, July 15, 2013
Are you really hoping to make money from this? I guess stranger things have happened.

Maybe you can parlay the engine into a game for the people who liked that facebook movie.
Bring back anon Send private email
Monday, July 15, 2013
btw Hipster CEO is a great name. Could be the beginning of a fantastically sarcastic blog critiquing the startup world :)
Bring back anon Send private email
Monday, July 15, 2013
Give free copies to people doing startups in real life. If it resonates, they'll do word-of-mouth for you, if it does not, pivot or move on.
Dmitry Leskov @Home Send private email
Tuesday, July 16, 2013
Send free copies to well known entrepreneurs. Publish their results (with their permission, obviously) on a leader board. Challenge people to do better than these well known entrepreneurs.  It will be tough to get them involved though - there isn't much in it for them beyond a free licences (worth $0.99?).

Maybe set up an entrepreneurs vs VCs tournament.

Be creative. These guys were clever and creative and it got them a load of free publicity:
Andy Brice Send private email
Tuesday, July 16, 2013
Hmmm I don't free copies will work - I mean, if I got a free copy of this random app I've never heard of then it doesn't necessarily mean I'll play it.

I was thinking of running a "Which CEO are you?" survey to publicise it. Like you do the survey and it turns out your Mark Zuckerberg and then I ask you to join the mailing list or whatever.

Gerard Kelly Send private email
Wednesday, July 17, 2013
Dear Mr. Kelly,
I would recommend you to choose networking as the main tool to promote your game. Don`t forget about social networks. Before visiting  CeBIT we also organized a promotion campaign via social networks to attract more visitors. I work at software company. And it was a winning tactic, as it was really difficult to stand out of the crowd at such a big expo.
First of all you can create special communities, devoted to your startup on professional social networks like LinkedIn, Xing, and on non-professional networks like Facebook and Google+, Twitter which will be focused on providing information, details and the latest news on your game or other interesting tech news. It can be a great tool for establishing your brand.
Just some statistics    
•    23% of users check Facebook 5 times or more daily
•    Google’s +1 button is used 5 million times a day
•    77% of the top 100 companies have a Twitter account
•    Facebook’s 1 billion members make it the world’s third largest country behind China and India.
I wish you the best of luck and success!
Sveta Bondarenko Send private email
Monday, August 05, 2013
And I’m totally agree with Dmitry Leskov, Be creative!
A great example of social media campaign is "Elf Yourself" by OfficeMax ( American office supplies retailer). The project began in July 2006, when OfficeMax created 20 humorous, holiday-themed web sites. They encouraged web users to upload pictures of themselves, create dancing elves with those faces and share them via social networks. The campaign led to the creation of more than 122 million elves during that holiday season, exceeding production's expectations.
Check out these amazing examples of digital media campaigns and free creative techniques to promote your business on my blog. I hope they can inspire you too.
Sveta Bondarenko Send private email
Monday, August 05, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics