* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Joomla / WordPress extensions

Has anyone here ever sold in this market? Just curious since I noticed that quiet a few extensions for Joomla cost a pretty penny. Is this something worth getting into.
codingreal Send private email
Monday, July 15, 2013

Plenty people made money around WordPress and, I'm sure, Joomla.

However, Joomla was released 8 years ago. If you want to make money riding a technology wave, you need to jump on in when it's going up and when there's not much competition. For a business around Joomla, you're about 5 years late.

"Over 6,000 free and commercial extensions are available from the official Joomla! Extension Directory, and more are available from other sources" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joomla).

Good luck trying to compete with 6000 products that had  years to build features, establish their brand, build SEO etc.

Not impossible but if I were a betting man, I wouldn't bet on such a business today.
Krzysztof Kowalczyk Send private email
Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Thanks Krzysztof
Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Krzysztof, if you are looking only at the numbers, then Wordpress would be even worse with 26,000 plugins only in the official directory.

The reality is that there is still opportunity especially for niche plugins/extensions.
handzhiev Send private email
Wednesday, July 17, 2013

When you are building something with Wordpress or other tool and you seriously look for plugins to accomplish your objectives, you will always run into the following situations:

- The plugin you like isn't certified to work in the current version of WP (or other CMS) which you are using.
- The plugin turns out to be broken.
- The plugin turns out to be great in theory but in practice introduces new problems or side effects that require considerable rework of other parts of your application.
- The lite (free) version is interesting, but only the paid version seems to have what you need, yet the feedback is sparse and you don't really know if it will work well for you.
- The plugin is too trivial to be useful.
- The plugin has almost no users or is 2+ years out of date and is not being maintained.

In other words, what you may see as abundance has to be stringently qualified. There is an abundance of junk, rubbish, or abandonware plugins. There are relatively few quality plugins.

The comment about developing extensions for niches is perfect. That's really what you have to do.
WannabeTycoon Send private email
Wednesday, July 17, 2013

i have a joomla 1.5 site. joomla 2.5 and 3 are out and some of the plugins i use are fee plugins that are not conerted (checked one month ago)

for a couple of them i had to modify source code to have them work properly.
fp615 Send private email
Wednesday, July 17, 2013

if Krzysztof is right then it is very discouraging to say the least. Since I have been looking at product/shareware sites and there does not seem to be anything that is left open. Most sellers have been around for a while and there are dozens of competitors for just about anything. Also regarding jumping on new technology wave: does that mean implementing same product with new technology or having to come up with new products based on new technology? If the latter then with the pace of new technology being what it is , I would never be able to keep up. I would need a new product every month!
Wednesday, July 17, 2013

1. To be clear: I'm not saying that winning in a field with a lot of competition is not possible. It's just much, much harder than winning in a field with little competition.

2. What I mean by riding a wave, by example:

a) the first guy who invested in building commercial Winforms C# components and did a good job, is winning today. If you want to start such business today, you're unlikely to win even if you put 10x effort and build a product that is 2 times better.

b) hotmail and yahoo! mail are still giants in web-based e-mail market. Gmail was created few years later and it took them a lot of time to catch up, despite being a much better product. If you try to compete in that field today, you're pretty much hosed.

c) personal example: in early days of PDAs I made quite a bit of money by writing first good dictionary for Palm OS. Eventually a  stronger competition won (and then iPhone killed Palm OS) but they had to work so much harder to compete with me. They had to claw market share from me bit by tiny bit, over several months. I started with 100% market share simply by virtue of being the first (decent) product.

So to ride a technology wave you have to identify promising technologies in the early days, before everyone else knows they'll be successful. In the past it was Java, C#, web-based $anything (mail, word, spreadsheet, powerpoint, todo list), iOS, Android. Today maybe it's WebRTC, Go, Web components, Dart.

Then come up with a product that complements those technologies.

For example, if you're certain that Go will be popular in the future, you might write and IDE specialized for Go code. If you're right and do a decent job, you might become the Eclipse or Intellij of Go world.

And no, @codingreal , you don't have to create a new product every month. You just have to create one successful product and milk it for many years to come.

For completeness sake: I'm not saying this is the only way to have successful product. It's possible to beat competition with superior product or have comfortable business making 2nd or 3rd best product in a given category.

Personally I believe that in the context of 1-person businesses, the best way to come up with a product is to solve annoying issue that you have personally.
Wednesday, July 17, 2013

One more thing: if the only idea you have at the moment is making Joomla plugins, then go and build Joomla plugins. Do the best job you can on the code, marketing etc. Don't stop at first failure, try and try again until you're completely out of ideas.

If you do nothing, you will achieve nothing.

If you do something, you might achieve something.

My comments are only applicable if you have other business ideas (that don't involve competing in a crowded field).
Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Krzysztof:

Thanks for clarification. You talk from real experience in this area which I don't have. I actually don't have a specific idea regarding a plugin but wanted to get a glimpse into what people with experience thought in order to avoid rookie mistakes. I certainly don't want to re-invent wheels.
Wednesday, July 17, 2013

It's not a wave any more. I doubt that it ever was. Plugins for the major CMS are a mature marketplace.

It would be pretty much like starting an mISV for any niche purpose. You study the marketplace, you explore your own technical interests, and you find an intersection between your interests and the marketplaces' needs. You then develop a product and you try to market it.

I don't see it being a lot different than any other mISV. It's not like writing components for developers. Web designers are semi technical end users mostly without a clue. They want prepackaged goodness and ease of use.
WannabeTycoon Send private email
Thursday, July 18, 2013

it's hard to use WordPress
snowtij Send private email
Friday, July 19, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics