* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

How should you market software nowdays?

I've created Utility type of products. Like Disk Cleaner, and etc... It's for Windows XP to 8.

Anyway, I've received few good feedback from big news sites such as PC Magazines. After launching something brand "NEW" the traffic was actually very good (IMO). About 500 - 1000 visits a day. The only marketing I ever done was use RoboSoft to submit every where.

Now that the product is few months old, the traffic reduced to like 100 visits per day. I've done no marketing at all because I'm focused on building new products.

My question is, how should we market software nowdays?

I've bought some press release distribution service which did not help much. All the SEO services I've been buying has barely done anything.

Would Ad-Word be good option here?

Thanks for all the help.
John Senar Send private email
Tuesday, July 02, 2013
Basically, content is the way to go. FAQ's and articles, case studies on the ways your software solves problems, press pages etc. Create a site that people want to return to and talk about and link to as a useful resource.

Setup Google Alerts for the problems that you software solves and post responses on blogs etc.

I'd imagine that Disk Cleaning is a very competitive market. Your only likely to see much revenue from this if your site is #1 on Google.

If you post your URL in might help to get a review of your current site. It's very easy to make basic mistakes on a site that can cost sales and turn off potential customers.
Andrew Gibson Send private email
Tuesday, July 02, 2013
Thanks for the great information Andrew. I've created an Article section to write few articles but my writer is too busy so she quit on me lol. I guess i'll have to write quality contents my self.

So by contents, are we talking about things like: "How our software can help you?", "Why it's important to keep your PC clean" and etc?

The website I'm currently working with is www.Synei.com

If anyone does have the time to review it or give me suggestions, I would be greatly appreciated and would gladly repay the favor.
Tuesday, July 02, 2013
Awesome customer service and fantastic design drives word of mouth - over the long term.
Scott Send private email
Tuesday, July 02, 2013
You could trial Adwords and if your not getting a sufficient cost per conversion, you can always stop using Adwords. Worth a go.
Kevin Taylor Send private email
Wednesday, July 03, 2013
Adwords is increasingly complex and competitive. I wouldn't bother with Adwords unless you are prepared to spend some time learning how it works or pay someone who does.
Andy Brice Send private email
Wednesday, July 03, 2013
If you really do think that yet another disk cleaner will make this world a better place, you should have no problem putting together some pieces of content supporting that view.
Dmitry Leskov Send private email
Wednesday, July 03, 2013
On your site the left column uses a lot of adjectives rather than showing why.

Worse, on the right side..

"Support Us

Synei is a brand new website that was officially launched on March 27, 2013."

You expect visitors to entrust their computer's health to a new site, asking for support?

A MAJOR part of this market is building trust and respect. They need to trust you with their computer as much, in fact perhaps more, than they trust Microsoft.

You don't have to lie and pretend your products are well-established - but you don't have to mention that they're not.

Reluctantlyregistered Send private email
Wednesday, July 03, 2013
Not to mention that "Synei is a brand new website that was officially launched on March 27, 2013." is a very bad marketing copy.

Your landing page is the most important page for selling your software.

Don't waste it by writing things that literally no one cares about. If it doesn't sell your software, then leave it out. Whitespace is your friend.

For an extreme example look at https://www.dropbox.com/. I'm not saying you should be as sparse as Dropbox (you shouldn't because your software/business is different) but it's an example of a web page that is designed with a single goal: to sell.

Your page looks like you're writing whatever random thing comes to your mind. I could remove half the text from it and it would improve it.
Krzysztof Kowalczyk Send private email
Wednesday, July 03, 2013
Thanks everyone, very helpful tips.

I've added those things because our software were distributed for free and we just wanted to let people know who we were. They will all change within next month when we release the paid version.

I'll definitely keep remove everything except the mindset of "To Sell".
Wednesday, July 03, 2013
I think "to sell" is a wrong mindset to be in when writing sales copy. "To help" is a better one. State the pain your product relieves (or the joy it brings if of entertainment type). In B2B, show how your product can help make or save money, or reduce risks.

For the avoidance of doubt, the above does not mean obscuring the fact that your product is commercial, or anything like that.
Dmitry Leskov Send private email
Thursday, July 04, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics