* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

upgrade your adwords accounts before 22-July - or else!

Google will automatically switch all adwords campaigns to 'enhanced' on 22-July. If you don't do it before then, Google will do it for you. And you can be confident they will be thinking of their interests, rather than yours.

If you are selling downloadable software, I recommend you set your bid adjustment much lower for mobile devices. My own analytics data tells me that mobile devices only have one tenth the (measurable) conversion rate of desktop/laptop computers. So I have set my mobile bid adjustment at -90% for mobile devices.

Note that you can't set a mobile bid adjustment for CPA campaigns. However Google should notice the lack of downloads and sales on mobile devices and adjust the mobile bids down for you automatically.

Upgrading is pretty straight forward and should only take a few minutes. More details at:
http://www.softwarepromotions.com/news/enhanced-campaigns-will-be-attacking-2013-06-20/
Andy Brice Send private email
Thursday, June 27, 2013

I did give up on AdWords, but thanks the update. It's becoming trickier :-)
Joannes Vermorel - Lokad Sales Forecasting Send private email
Thursday, June 27, 2013

For my product conversion rate for desktop/laptop is *2.4 better than for mobile devices, probably even worse when you take tablets out.
Kevin Taylor Send private email
Thursday, June 27, 2013

what I mean is computer = good, mobile = bad
Kevin Taylor Send private email
Thursday, June 27, 2013

@ Andy "So I have set my mobile bid adjustment at -90% for mobile devices."

Why didn't you turn off mobile adds completely?
alexandar Send private email
Friday, June 28, 2013

Thanks for the tip Andy, I hadn't realized that.

Something else I've done is added negative keywords for mobile devices because we don't have mobile versions. So for example I added "iPad", "iOS", "android", etc. as negative keywords for my campaigns because anyone searching for a mobile version will most likely not purchase our systems. Maybe when we get a mobile version I'll push them back, but for now, why not.
Stephane Grenier Send private email
Friday, June 28, 2013

>Why didn't you turn off mobile adds completely?

Because analytics shows that people do come to my website and buy using mobile devices. But not many.

There are probably also a fair number of sales where people first find about my product via a mobile search and then come back and buy via their desktop computer. I can't track those sales though.
Friday, June 28, 2013

@ Andy "Because analytics shows that people do come to my website and buy using mobile devices. "

I'll accept that.
alexandar Send private email
Friday, June 28, 2013

Also you have to be careful because people will run google searches on their mobile devices for software they want on their PC. That's why I use negative keywords for iPad, iOS, android, but at the same time I want them to be able to find the software on those devices. Similarly I don't want people googling for iPad versions of the software on their PC's.

It's not ON what device you search for that matters as much as what you search FOR specifically.
Stephane Grenier Send private email
Friday, June 28, 2013

Exactly what Stephane said. A chunk of our customers search for our products (or rather *find* our products) on mobile devices, and then later buy or signup on their desktop / laptop.

So even though there is a "hole" in the purchasing funnel (the leap from mobile to their desktop) disabling mobile search advertising (or limiting it) is a mistake.
Wyatt O'Day Send private email
Friday, June 28, 2013

> There are probably also a fair number of sales where people first find about my product via a mobile search and then come back and buy via their desktop computer. I can't track those sales though.

That would be an interesting thing to track. Even if you're able to track 5% of them successfully, you could extrapolate the results to the rest of the traffic.

One particular usage pattern I use, for instance, is to "share" the link I've found on mobile with myself. Usually I sent it to my Gmail, but sometimes place it into Catch. Then on desktop I click on that link.

So, if the mobile links contained a per-user id the site could track the multi-device users.

Just a thought. Don't know if it is practical or useful.
Vladimir Dyuzhev Send private email
Monday, July 01, 2013

IIRC a reply I got back from Google (when I complained about enhanced campaigns) implied that they are moving towards cross device tracking.
Monday, July 01, 2013

Yep, here you go:

http://econsultancy.com/ca/blog/62754-cross-device-measurement-in-google-analytics-will-turn-mobile-marketing-on-its-head

They indeed going to merge the same user on different devices into one tracked user.
Monday, July 01, 2013

Note that in the comments people complain it would only benefit the logged in users.

I should partially disagree.

No need to log visitors in. It is enough to assign every visitor an unique id. For example, the same user will get a id=123 on tablet and id=456 on desktop. Eventually, there will be an evidence this is the same user -- after a purchase is done, or after they both login or after they visit mutual (presumably shared between devices) links.

Yes, it is not perfect, but it is better than nothing.

And then one can extrapolate the results of confirmed matches to the whole traffic.
Monday, July 01, 2013

"Eventually, there will be an evidence this is the same user -- after a purchase is done, or after they both login or after they visit mutual (presumably shared between devices) links"
This isn't my field of expertise, but a contact in direct marketing tells me that the first method (purchasing behavior) is what the data mining marketing companies use to build profiles.  You supply your real name and address to get credit card authorization.  For privacy reasons they can't store your credit card number, but they can track everything else, including the chain of referring pages. 

They can't reliably link visitors across devices (and online purchases are still more likely to be done from a desktop device), but these companies have pretty detailed profiles of groups of mobile device users, and they will compare purchaser profiles to mobile device user profiles to determine whether they are getting their "fair share" of mobile device users as customers.  So these companies can't target individual prospects when you use a mobile device, like they can with cookies on your desktop, but they can gauge whether or not it is worthwhile to advertise on mobile devices.

If you activate all of the tracking features on your mobile apps, you open yourself to being linked to your desktop shopping activity, but my contact tells me his industry hasn't got that fully ironed out yet.  The amount of information available to them is incredible, but when they try to verify the methods they use to link mobile users to desktop users, the results are still pretty unreliable.  Another problem is that the most attractive markets exhibit significantly different buying behavior with a mobile device than from a desktop, but that's a different topic.
Howard Ness Send private email
Monday, July 01, 2013

substitute "when they try to validate" for "when they try to verify"
Howard Ness Send private email
Monday, July 01, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics