* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

ICANN working group seeks to kill WHOIS

The Subject is the title of the following article
http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/465895/icann_working_group_seeks_kill_whois/

It has a link to a survey allowing you to weigh in on the proposed changes. I sometimes use WHOIS information in my mISV and do not want to have availability to that data restricted in any way. I should be able to get it anonomously, without registering.
Bill Anonomist Send private email
Wednesday, June 26, 2013

I find whois invaluable in determining who are the real companies and who are the fly by night operators.
Scott Send private email
Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Therefore killing whois would result in less web commerce.
Scott Send private email
Wednesday, June 26, 2013

So the change they are proposing is the big corporations would have access to it, but the general public would be denied access unless they could apply, maybe pay some fees, show some state id cards, and prove they have  a reason to look at who owns a domain.

That seems anti democratic.

Interesting ICANN is going that direction - towards authoritarianism and totalitarianism, and against openness.

What we need, given that they are now of this mind, is to get rid of ICANN and replace it with something that isn't controlled by those controlled by the moneyed elite insiders.
Scott Send private email
Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Their "survey" is completely rigged.

It doesn't ask if they should do it or not. It asks how much they should charge, and what sort of authoritarian identification documents should they require before considering letting you peek at the records.
Scott Send private email
Wednesday, June 26, 2013

I'm curious who is behind this initiative.  The companies that sell domains would lose their anonymizer revenue (replacing your identification with a paper company in Nova Scotia) and I don't see it helping the individuals who buy up expiring domains for parking and resale.  What about TLD's that have their own regulatory body, such as .ca?

I agree with Scott, it goes against the spirit of ICANN, and the only motivation can be greed.  Whoever is prompting the Expert Working Group to put this report out needs to be flushed out, so their motivation is plain to see.  Whenever the report talks about accuracy and integrity, I see someone trying to manipulate policy for financial gain.
Howard Ness Send private email
Wednesday, June 26, 2013

"Interesting ICANN is going that direction - towards authoritarianism and totalitarianism, and against openness.

What we need, given that they are now of this mind, is to get rid of ICANN and replace it with something that isn't controlled by those controlled by the moneyed elite insiders. "

Isn't this the direction they have always been going in ?

IMO, the whole domain name registration system is a racket and the situation with IPv6 just goes to show that ICANN has failed as a technical advisory group.
koan Send private email
Thursday, June 27, 2013

Any time you have a group governing anything by consensus or law, that is where the elite will go to maintain their control. Duh.
Bring back anon Send private email
Saturday, June 29, 2013

"I agree with Scott, it goes against the spirit of ICANN, and the only motivation can be greed."

Another motivation is control. If you need an id card to look at who owns a domain, certainly you will start to need an id card to GET, transfer, and maybe even renew a domain.

Once it is tied in that way, good luck with your anonymous anti-government blog.
Scott Send private email
Monday, July 01, 2013

And good luck when your domain registrar and/or hosting service provider is crippled or compromised for even a few hours.  And it doesn't help if everyone uses the same "reliable" companies, it just gives the anarchists bigger targets.

This is bad news.
Howard Ness Send private email
Monday, July 01, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics