* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

How do you find sales promotions?

do you have a specific site where you go to check out what's on sale today, this weekend?
Or do you just go shopping hoping to find items on sale?
how do you become aware of what's on sale?
John Marcos Send private email
Tuesday, June 25, 2013
My dad
Bring back anon Send private email
Tuesday, June 25, 2013
I start on amazon to get a baseline.

Then I look around for better offers (generally discarding fly by night places like people selling on ebay, unless it's something that I can't get elsewhere and the person has 10,000+ 5 star transactions).

Then I usually end up buying from amazon.

By amazon I mean one of the stores selling through amazon.

Amazon has the largest number of different sellers for a lot of things, and they are directly competing to have the lowest listed price, because that guy gets the sale. This competitive pressure often results in the lowest price.

If the price is still too high, then I don't buy it. Maybe I look again in a few weeks, months, or years.
Scott Send private email
Tuesday, June 25, 2013
There are many websites that will email you and let you know once the price goes down if you signup with them. You can also select the items you are interested in and you will get a newsletter with info about their availability and prices.
  I am sure you don't want to keep going back to the check every week or month to see if  the item you are looking for has gone down on price of if it is in stock.

What i am trying to figure out is the best way or the most common way to find out about sales happening ...
John Marcos Send private email
Tuesday, June 25, 2013
I've signed up for stuff like you mention in the past and then been spammed into oblivious. The sites that run that sort of service will sell your email address to every con artist in the world too, so soon you are getting thousands of emails a day.

I would never give a real email address to any such site.
Scott Send private email
Wednesday, June 26, 2013
Scott Send private email
Wednesday, June 26, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics