* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Any educated opinions on this PC BUILD?

lntel Core i5 3570 Processor (Quad Core 3.4GHz [Max Turbo Frequency 3.8GHz], 6MB Cache, 4 Threads)

Asus P8Z77-V LK Motherboard (http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8Z77V_LK/)

Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR3 1600MHz (2x8GB) [Max 32GB]

Samsung 840 Series 250GB Solid State Drive  (http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/memory-storage/MZ-7TD250BW)

Western Digital 1TB 7200RPM Enterprise RE4 Edition Hard Drive

DVD Writer Drive

Antec Three Hundred Two Mid Tower Case w/Antec 550W Power Supply

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit w/media
(I'll probably switch to Windows 7 Home)

Cost is around $1200 w/ Win 7 Home
Mr. Analogy Send private email
Wednesday, June 19, 2013
Seems okay, but I'd want more RAM. I guess it depends what you want it for.

BTW, the mods have removed the post in your link ;-)
Scorpio Send private email
Thursday, June 20, 2013
I wonder how you use more than 16GB? I can't utilize fully even 8GB I have in current machine. Although I have second (older) machine with 8GB for running VMs. That's the only purpose I could use more RAM for, and I anyway prefer to have it on sepparate box. Any other way to benefit from more RAM for standard Visual Studio development with all other misc software running in parallel?
Suka Send private email
Thursday, June 20, 2013
I currently have 16GB in my main dev box, and have been considering upgrading to 32GB. 

I'm a web dev, so I usually have multiple VMs running on my machine, including a Windows VM (or two) for testing things in Internet Explorer.
James A. Send private email
Thursday, June 20, 2013

I actually have been mulling over just starting w/ 8 GB of RAM and upgrading later on if necessary.

But RAM is pretty cheap (that's the only reason I went right to 16 GB)

Thursday, June 20, 2013
SSD man, SSD. Once you go there, you never go back.
Bring back anon Send private email
Thursday, June 20, 2013

I would upgrade your SSD selection to the Pro version

The write speed of the PRO is about 500mb. vs  about 200mb of the regular version.

Both are the Samsung 840 models.
just the PRO is double the write speed.

worth the extra 80$

I got the non-pro and regreat it. but the price difference back then was about 200$  now its just 80$, go for PRO.
NewGuyOnTheBlock Send private email
Thursday, June 20, 2013
Good point. Yes, Well worth the extra $ for the Pro. (Others have confirmed that as well).
Thursday, June 20, 2013
Ah glad to see somebody else still builds their own PC.  I've always had good luck with Asus boards.  That one looks nice, although I always read the reviews on NewEgg to get a good sense of the limitations of any model.  Curious - why are you going with i5 instead of i7?

My most recent build was a 64GB i7 and came in around $1400 not counting the OS  (I used to work at Microsoft so I get the OS cheap from the MS Company Store). Here is the list of components I used: http://craigandliz.homedns.org/cw/BuildQuadCore

BTW I use every bit of that 64GB. One 16GB VMWare for Visual Studio, several Windows server VMWares, 2-3 Linux VMs, a VirtualBox Windows 2012 server instance and some heavy video crunching on the host.
Craig A Send private email
Friday, June 21, 2013
My work isn't typically very computation intensive.

A lot of web browsing/research.
Some VB6 programming (our old programs are in vb6). Maybe 5h/month.
A small amount of vb.net 2005 (maybe 10h a year max)
Web Design (Expression web, etc.)

So, I  spent the $ on a larger, faster SSD and RAM rather than i7 .

Also, it seemed that main advantage of the i7 was hyperthreading, and I don't  think I'll need that much (seems to help with 3d stuff and video editing. My video editor is fast enough right now).

Bottom line: my current system isn't bad IF I'm only using one program. It's multtasking where it gets noticeably slower.
Friday, June 21, 2013
Go for an i7 processor
no point in going for less
Price difference is not much
NewGuyOnTheBlock Send private email
Saturday, June 22, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics