* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Answers do depend on questions

I'm in the process of making a new version of a software, and for last 10 or so days I have been brooding over how to optimize a drawing routine. The cpu goes to 12% all the time and i did not like it. I tried caching some images, looking for faster basic drawing routines (lineto, polyline,  etc...),  and such usual suspects. All of this either led to to much complication or did not give any improvement.
Than this morning I thought to myself  "if only i could drop that CPU by 50 % I'd be happy..."
And there was my answer the moment I thought the question...The whole drawing routine takes place in a timer event that fires every 20ms...well just changing the interval to 40ms I had halved the CPU hit without affecting visual impression...
All because I asked a more specific question "how to get 50% improvement' instead of 'how to get an improvement'...

Well...I thoughht it would be nice to share this with you and help this forum a little who seems to be on its hind legs as of lately
alexandar Send private email
Monday, June 17, 2013

@ Than this morning I thought to myself  "if only i could drop that CPU by 50 % I'd be happy..."

I thought it  in my language of course not in English...
Monday, June 17, 2013

"I thought it  in my language of course not in English..."

aah, thank you for clarifying that up, now it all makes sense, of course, english is far too inflexible to be finking such  fings.
;)

but on the serious note, yes, asking the RIGHT question will lead to RIGHT solutions, and vice versa.

(and yes, i did think it in english)
Koziolek Matolek Send private email
Monday, June 17, 2013

@ Koziolek
I don't know if you are aware that your domain is expired and is awaiting renewal
Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Ouch!
Koziolek Matolek Send private email
Thursday, June 20, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics