* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Advice on software - SecuSend.

Hi All,

I've recently released the beta version of files encryption software for multiple recipients - SecuSend.
I'd appreciate any feedback you can give me on the software idea and market.

What do you think about the product concepts? Currently I'm thinking about business model and redesigning site.

Thanks in advance.
SSE Send private email
Monday, June 17, 2013

Why would anyone use your solution instead of, say, GnuPG?
Dmitry Leskov @Home Send private email
Monday, June 17, 2013

"Why would anyone use your solution instead of, say, GnuPG?"

SecuSend is more simplified PGP. I have worked on some project and created library which than I have used in SecuSend. Just added
UI, setup site and looking for feedback to make decision on the feature of this project (freeware or not).
SSE Send private email
Monday, June 17, 2013

Is it compatible with PGP or all recipients have to use SecuSend? If the latter, you stand no chance IMO.
Dmitry Leskov Send private email
Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Looks interesting, but not sure about giving away free versions of usable software would lead to later purchases.

How do you plan to monetize?
exim Send private email
Saturday, June 22, 2013

"Is it compatible with PGP or all recipients have to use SecuSend?"

No, it's not compatible with PGP and yes, all recipients have to use SecuSend.

"How do you plan to monetize?"

Currently I have no plan how to monetize, thinking about giving it as a free version.
SSE Send private email
Monday, June 24, 2013

Why is the "Open" screen the same as the encrypt screen? (with the list of recipients, etc). It's a bit confusing, the decrypting interface should only have the decrypt button, right?

Some tips (good or bad, I'll let you judge) :

* completely remove the alert box for the fule encryption result ( http://www.secusender.com/images/encryptionAlert.png ), and just make a part of the screen red or green (eventually with the details button). One less click, more user friendly.
* make the whole window accept the drag and drop, not only the tiny widget at the top. That way, it still provides guidance, but it fixes big finger problems, and once people discover the trick, they'll be happier to use it :)
* Display the list of files to encrypt directly, not in another window accessible with two clicks
* Put another button for "Encrypt and email" near the "Encrypt" button, the widget is large enough.

A final question: do you sign the files sent with SecuSend?
Geoffroy Couprie Send private email
Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Hi Geoffroy;

Thanks for great feedback!

" * completely remove the alert box for the fule encryption result ( http://www.secusender.com/images/encryptionAlert.png ), and just make a part of the screen red or green (eventually with the details button). One less click, more user friendly."

This behavior could be disabled using 'Options' dialog.

"A final question: do you sign the files sent with SecuSend?"

No. As well as compression before encryption. This is the beta version  and will be added in the next version.

Thanks.
SSE Send private email
Monday, July 01, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics