* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

anyone use http://wyday.com/wybuild/

Hi Guys,

Anyone use http://wyday.com/wybuild/

I think the creator is active member here at JOS.

But I'm mainly interested in feedback from actual users.
And if they can share the links to software that uses this component for update patches.

My app is getting to be about 200mb in size, and I'm thinking of implementing a patching system instead of having the user download and install 200mb each time I roll out a small change.

What do you guys think? any pros and cons to patching approach?
any pros and cons to the WyBuild tool?
NewGuyOnTheBlock Send private email
Sunday, June 16, 2013

>> "any pros and cons to the WyBuild tool?"

No cons, only pros. :) But since you want to hear from other people I'll just let our website speak for itself.

>> "any pros and cons to patching approach?"

This is a good question. I'll speak about patching in general. The only real downside to delivering patches to your users instead of full files is that you have to keep copies of all the full files of your app somewhere. Either on your computer or on a local in-house server. Because the patch-creation application (or, wyBuild specifically) needs your full files in order to generate patches to go from the old versions of the files to the new versions of the files.

So, if you're not already keeping backups of your old binaries, then you need to start doing that. My advice is to pickup a couple of 2TB harddrives and setup a decent backup system with some redundancy. It'll cost you about $100 and you'll be set for several years.

The upsides to a patching system (in general) are numerous:

- Faster update downloads for the users.
- Faster update installation for the users.
- Less server storage used.
- Less bandwidth & quota used.
- etc.
Wyatt O'Day Send private email
Sunday, June 16, 2013

Quite impresive how this guy have been able to spam this forum for so many years and years....
Mauricio Macedo Send private email
Sunday, June 16, 2013

@Mauricio

I didn't start the topic.
Sunday, June 16, 2013

Hi Wyette,
:)
I knew you'd chime in :)

If no one is going to post, I'm guessing no one here is using it yet.

Do you have any clients who use your software for their updating system that you can share with me?
Sunday, June 16, 2013

>> "Do you have any clients who use your software for their updating system that you can share with me?"

We have a large number of "big name" customers. We're in the process of getting permission from some of these customers to get their logo in a "used by" section on the main wyBuild page.

As far as other customers goes, we only talk about them in 1 of 2 conditions: (1) they give us express permission to mention them as a customer or (2) their software is publicly available and the integration with our products is conspicuous.

One example of the latter case is Twitter's Tweetdeck: http://tweetdeck.com/

They use wyUpdate like this: http://wyday.com/wybuild/help/silent-checking.php

How you integrate wyUpdate (and optionally the AutomaticUpdater) is entirely up to you. Some of our customers choose to recompile both and completely rebrand them. That's possible because everything that you include with your app are licensed under liberal business friendly open source licenses (BSD and LGPL respectively).
Monday, June 17, 2013

Hi,

I have bought wybuild before a year in order to use it in one of my ideas (I have list of 140+ ideas by the way) which eventually went to nowhere. So maybe I do not count in the list of customers (at leas not active:)

But I've noticed that one of the vendors that I use (Eazfuscator) have recently switched from a home made update system to wybuild..
Atanas Krachev Send private email
Monday, June 17, 2013

I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but there are other update solutions out there (for instance, our one...) http://www.powerprogrammer.co.uk
Andrew Gibson Send private email
Monday, June 17, 2013

Mauricio Macedo: "Quite impresive how this guy have been able to spam this forum for so many years and years...."

Wyatt does not spam.  He replies to posts.

Wyatt is doing something called marketing.  It is interesting that that seems to upset some.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko
Gene Wirchenko Send private email
Monday, June 17, 2013

Gene Wirchenko: yeah, he creates a new user, posts a question about something that his software does, and then answers it.  I remember somebody trying to sell here an ebook on how to game Yahoo Answers that way... it's a well known sleazy marketing tatic...
Monday, June 17, 2013

>> "he creates a new user [... other conspiracy nonsense...]"

I don't do that, and I never have. If you reasoned this through logically you would realize that if I did do that it would be poison for my company. You do understand that, right?

Then again, there's a shocking number of Americans who believe President Obama wasn't born in the United States. [For those not in the U.S. and unfamiliar with our constitution: being a native-born citizen is a requirement for the Presidency.]

Ignorance and nutty conspiracy theories thrive.
Monday, June 17, 2013

Well, and just for conversation's sake, I note with interest that there's 3 posts started by NewGuyOnTheBlock regarding licensing (including this one), of which all 3 have been answered by Wyatt.  Here's the other two for reference:

http://discuss.joelonsoftware.com/default.asp?biz.5.846523.55
http://discuss.joelonsoftware.com/default.asp?biz.5.842206.1

So why does NewGuyOnTheBlock keep asking the same questions multiple times, when Wyatt has already answered him twice before?  Do you have trouble with the answers, NewGuy, such that you need to keep posting about LimeLM so often?
PSB136 Send private email
Tuesday, June 18, 2013

>> "[...] just for conversation's sake [...]"

That made me laugh. I guess nutty conspiracy theories are OK, so long as they're just for conversation's sake.

Ugh, I give up. Would you like my long form birth certificate from Kenya ... er, I mean Hawaii?
Tuesday, June 18, 2013

I've been on this forum for 8 years, Wyatt. Every time I see a new post from an unknown user asking something something about a specific thing your solution does, I think to myself "oh, time lost on another SEO honeypot thread made by Wyatt"...  And just to be sure, I check if right after the post there is your long and well written plug-in reply to the question... Quite a coincidence that you're always awake and on the forum right after the unknown user posts a license question to be the first to answer it isn't it?

This is my last reply to this thread, I think you should be banned from this forum and your constant product plug-ins erased so that people don't follow your bad example. As I don't have the power to do that, what I can do is make sure I never touch your products even with a ten foot pole and continue to ignore your made up threads polluting the forum.
Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Sounds to me like NKOTB is just using this forum to decide on a vendor. His questions got less vague as time went on and he appears to have settled on buying wyday.

Wyatt's posts are welcome by me. I find them informative and him knowledgeable.
Bring back anon Send private email
Tuesday, June 18, 2013

"I think the creator is active member here at JOS"

This is why conspiracy theories abound.  NGOTB doesn't just "think" that Wyatt is active here, he actually "knows" it and has conversed with Wyatt before, but he acts innocent and naive about it.  Why is that?  What else are we supposed to think when we spot false comments like that?
PSB136 Send private email
Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Well, you guys are right about one thing. I'm not who I say I am. I thought someone would notice before now, but "Wyatt O'Day" isn't my real name. That's just an anagram for my actual name: Bruce Wayne.

I am the Batman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_u2PMzFIYM
Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Well, to clarify, NewGuyOnTheBlock  is me :) not wyatte.
this time I was asking specifically if anyone has used Bruce Wayne's wybuild app in their software.  Wanted a recommendation first hand (from a user)  not a mockery of the developer.
Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Wyatt, you liar!  It is obvious that your name is not an anagram of "Bruce Wayne".  Your name has no E, and "Bruce Wayne" has no T's.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko
Gene Wirchenko Send private email
Wednesday, June 19, 2013

I use it and I like it because it's simple to use and it seems to work well.
Dan R Send private email
Friday, June 28, 2013

Oops sorry, what I use is LimeLM.
Dan R Send private email
Friday, June 28, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics