* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

An effective way to promote iphone app?

We developed an iphone app, which is a freemium app in  the productivity category. With millions of apps already in the appstore, it's hard to get people to notice our app, although I believe it's a high quality and useful app, and it has some similar and better features than a hot app frequently covered in major tech news sites, so it should be newsworthy.

I'm trying to find a good way to market my app. After googling, it looks like there are some companies offering packages about a few thousand bucks for the marketing services, including things like press release,  published on premium news sites, etc.  ( http://www.foundersspace.com/marketing-pr/100-ways-to-your-iphone-app/ ) .  My budget is about $10k for marketing purpose.

I've never used any of these companies for marketing app. Does anyone have experience with them?
HZ Send private email
Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Did you expect it would be a matter of "If I build it, they will come"?

Perhaps you could try contacting the tech news sites that you refer to and tell them about your product? $10.000 is a decent marketing budget to have, but you have the potential to burn through it with zero return unless you have a sound plan. Many Social Media Marketing companies are simply useless and exist purely to suck money from guilble dreamers with deep pockets and little sense.

Do you have a website so that people can find your app outside of the closed ecosystem of the Apple App Store? If so, you could use some of your war chest on Google Adwords to drive traffic to the site while you wait for it to develop some SEO traction in the organic search results.

However, there are plenty of marketing related things you can do by simply telling people about your application. Who knows? Some of them might be interested.
Andrew Gibson Send private email
Wednesday, June 12, 2013

I have used PRMac before and know some of the people there.  They are focused on iOS and Mac apps only.  It is pretty reasonable to try them out.
SteveM Send private email
Thursday, June 13, 2013

To me, one of the main problems with smartphone apps is the fragmentation. I'm not talking about different smartphone OSes, but having my data held to a device. I want access my data everywhere I go, on the web, on the smartphone, on my tablet.

This is why Dropbox and Astrid were such a success, they know most people in tech know use at least two computers, one at work and another at home, besides notebooks, tablets, smartphones and the Web.

Try to make your productivity app available and synched everywhere, and app or software users will be drawn to the website and vice-versa.

Directly from the Astrid website:
"Create lists anywhere - Astrid is available on Android phones, Android tablets, iPhone, iPad, and the web. Sync your lists cross all your devices with free cloud backup."
Mauricio Macedo Send private email
Thursday, June 13, 2013

Thank you for all your replies.

We're going to build mac/windows/android editions and data will be synced across all devices.
HZ Send private email
Friday, June 14, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics