* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

New version of System Navigator file manager

Hello,

8-9 months ago on this sites I wrote about our file manager.

Since then we worked on new versions, on marketing etc.

Currently our the latest version is very good and stable, customers are more then satisfied, still, we have lack of marketing - we need more downloads etc.

If you have any ideas please let me know.

Also give feedback about software.

http://www.exeone.com

Thanks a lot!

Sincerely,
Ivan
IvanMark Send private email
Tuesday, June 11, 2013

It is a pretty nice clone of the old Norton Commander for DOS or the current Total Commander (http://ghisler.com/) for Windows.

One thing that would turn me off from a sales point of view is that you state in your return policy that For online software you consider it "opened" on purchase and will not take a refund.  I can tell you that my credit card company would give me a refund on your product and then I keep your product and my money.  Many people on this site will tell you to open that up and give refunds.  I know you have the trial version but that does not mean that I used the trial or that I should not get a refund.  Just my 2 cents.
SteveM Send private email
Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Hello,

Thanks for your feedback. You're right about returning policy, we'll do as you said.

System Navigator is far more advance tool then Total Commander. More everyday commonly used features.

Thanks!
Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Your videos open a new browser window and display the video on youtube. This seems a crazy approach to take, as the visitor will:

1. Not understand what has happened and not know that you site is still  on another tab of their browser.

2.  Youtube offers all of distractions in the world. So the visitor might never find they way back.

3. Related videos appear at the end of your video, so the visitor can simple click way somewhere else and see products related to yours.

You should embed the Videos on your own site. This will allow you to control how the video appears and allow you to suppress related videos.
Andrew Gibson Send private email
Wednesday, June 12, 2013

The site seems to be down right now.
Scorpio Send private email
Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Thanks for the comments about YouTube video - I agree with you but couldn't find better idea, also I want that users can give comments, feedback etc. That is the reason why we brought new YT page.

Site is down sometimes because of high volume probably, it's hosted on BlueHost, which should work fine.
Wednesday, June 12, 2013

It is back up now, but it might be worth getting better hosting if this is an issue that you've encountered before.
Wednesday, June 12, 2013

There are better ways of getting comments and feedback than driving visitors to youtube. Youtube should be driving traffic to your site, not vice versa. You don't have any control over youtube comments, so the only option you'll have if a competitor starts bad mouthing you, or a disgruntle customer post something while drunk, is to turn off comments.

You can get comment modules for web pages.  You need to have something that you have full editorial control over.
Andrew Gibson Send private email
Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Nice site. Bad refund policy. Fix that.

However, the most important question is why should I choose this over the excellent and free FAR manager?
B2B Send private email
Thursday, June 13, 2013

A few things:

I assumed it was for the Mac, not Windows, as the site and graphics doesn't seem to reflect Windows to me. Only the third time I viewed the site did I notice it was for Windows.

The site is very slow (from UK at least), which may be hosting issue, or perhaps the number of massive images used.

There is way to much text, especially really long paragraphs. For example, the features page has enormous icons which don't do anything, then tiny screenshots and huge, unbroken paragraphs of text, which is difficult to read.

It is worth checking the English used on the site, especially the terms page, which seems to have errors.

I don't really get why you'd want to buy this product, as the built-in Windows file manager is adequate. I looked at your site to see what was so compelling about your product, but it doesn't tell me anything, as I'm not prepared to read through pages of text. I just want bullet points and screenshots.

Sorry to be harsh, but I'm underwhelmed. As always, I wish you luck and IMHO, YMMV, etc.
Thursday, June 13, 2013

> I can tell you that my credit card company would give me a refund on your product and then I keep your product and my money.

True, but not every customer knows that.  Some may just keep the app (since they "invested in it") and just use it anyway.  Seen it before.  Not saying that it's right to refuse a refund, mind you.
PSB136 Send private email
Thursday, June 13, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics