* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

PRWeb.com to drive traffic for Windows desktop app?

I am thinking of doing my first proper press release via PRWeb for one of my products, which is a consumer desktop app for Windows.

How many of you had good results with PRWeb.com in terms of driving quality traffic to your website from both improved search rankings and referrals? How long did the benefits last?

Which plan did you choose and would you recommend for a Windows-based desktop app?

Do you think this is a suitable strategy, provided the app has some unique/interesting features?

Is it ok to do a press-release for a product which has been around for some time (say latest version released a couple of months ago), but for which a proper press release was never done?

What are your thoughts and experiences on this?

George Send private email
Monday, June 10, 2013
As I mentioned here recently, and Joel mentioned on Twitter a few days ago, "press releases" are a very tiny step up from spam and largely ignored.

I think the time and effort would be better spent on other things, but as always IMHO, YMMV, etc.
Scorpio Send private email
Monday, June 10, 2013
Thanks for a reply. But does it apply to more professional PR companies like PRWeb as well?

And if not by distributing a PR using something like PRWeb, how do you get your app noticed by journalists and bloggers?
Monday, June 10, 2013
George, ask yourself,who reads PR releases anymore?

PRWeb will drive zero qualified traffic to you. Absolute zero. They'll take your money though to "publish it".
Blocky Send private email
Monday, June 10, 2013
@Blocky et al: Don't undervalue incoming links just yet.

I'd do a press-release upon launch just to plant a bunch of incoming links from news sites, making sure that it has keyword links and not just URLs.

As far as quality traffic is concerned, you may be better off approaching journalists and bloggers catering to your niche, prior to release, and handing free copies over to them.

That said, we usually have a few relevant Web sites pick up our releases. For instance, this release:

was reduced to this article:

Dmitry Leskov Send private email
Monday, June 10, 2013
@Dmitry Thanks for the tip. I guess there may be some small benefit occasionally.
@Blocky How do journalists and bloggers learn about new software then? Do all of them expect to be contacted by thousands of small vendors? Is it really possible to get to for example PC Magazine editors and give them a free copy of the app in exchange for review? How would you even reach them?
Tuesday, June 11, 2013
"How do journalists and bloggers learn about new software then? Do all of them expect to be contacted by thousands of small vendors?"
If you read online magazines and their associated bloggers, they often review software they either purchased or were researching before they purchased.  Sell your software, and if someone asks for an evaluation licence and appears to have an online audience, give it to them.

"How would you even reach them?"
Two things.  One, they usually have email links, and they actually scan their inboxes.  Two, make sure your website and product are completely ready to roll.  Put yourself in the shoes of someone who gets paid by the word to provide online content, and give them what you would want in the same situation.

Unless you have a minimum six figure advertising budget, and you want to check every box in your marketing plan, don't bother with PR firms.  Do spend some money to make sure your website reads like a professional wrote it, and put all of your own efforts into making your product as obviously good as it can be.  And don't be surprised if you fail, success is all about how you define it, and nothing to do with how it is defined by unsuccessful people.
Howard Ness Send private email
Wednesday, June 12, 2013
+1 for good advice from Howard.
Scorpio Send private email
Wednesday, June 12, 2013
One point often overlooked is a good press "kit" as such, rather than a release.

If you DO get a blogger or journalist interested it really helps if you have everything they need, from contact details to high-resolution images, all ready to go.

Include the who, why, what, when, where, all that stuff. Spoon-feed them the answers to the questions they might ask and you drastically increase the chance of them doing a write-up.

Reluctantlyregistered Send private email
Wednesday, June 12, 2013
Howard Ness

From your other posts, which i find thoughtful by the way, I gather you don't see a lot of revenue potential for small/single developer vendors. Is that a true assessment?
codingreal Send private email
Thursday, June 13, 2013
"a lot of revenue potential for small/single developer vendors"
It depends on how you generate revenue.  There is a ton of potential for improving the automation of current business processes, from manufacturing processes to communicating to key stakeholders and everything in between.  There is very little revenue potential in improving the automation of personal processes that don't stimulate personal weaknesses.  In other words, you probably won't make any money developing personal apps, unless they feed our bad habits.

My caveat is that the global IT market is enormous, and once in a while some small/single developer vendor will find a gold nugget in a riverbed in the Yukon.  Even if you are lucky enough to find that nugget, you won't be able to mine there for very long.  That's life in an electrically connected world.  On the other hand, building an uncommon and useful skill set is very feasible, and there are lots of people in this world who need to pay for the use of such skills.  You won't be the next Bill Gates or Steve Jobs that way, but you could still make a significant amount of money, depending on how you provide access to your skill set.
Howard Ness Send private email
Friday, June 14, 2013
Thanks Howard,

I would have never thought of the "Bad habits" angle. Seriously, you should think of compiling your posts into a book. It would be a lot more applicable than what is out there and I am always reading trying to catch up.
codingreal Send private email
Friday, June 14, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics