* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Review & feedback: jammr - jam together online

Hi folks,
I'm launching jammr, where musicians can jam together online.  That means live online jam sessions, just plug in your instrument or microphone.

http://jammr.net/

jammr is currently in open beta for Windows and Linux.  Paid accounts will be available soon with premium features.

Mac support is in the works and a lot of other goodies are on the roadmap.

It's been a long journey, originally starting with B2B ideas but none of them stuck until I stumbled across the idea of online jamming.  Hey, it's B2C but is something I'm passionate about.  That has helped tremendously in tackling the non-technical parts that are hard or boring for an engineer ;).

So dust off your guitar or grab the keyboard from under your bed, and let me know what you think :-).

Thanks,
Stefan

PS: I'm a long-time lurker and very excited to finally launch!
Stefan Hajnoczi Send private email
Monday, June 03, 2013

My kids would love this except there is no video. What is this "download" thing? I'm going on Tumblr now.

You get the picture...
Bring back anon Send private email
Monday, June 03, 2013

I'd love to make it web-based.  The HTML5 audio APIs are geared more towards games or sound toys than real-time audio, and WebRTC is geared towards voice chat not music quality audio.  It can be challenging to make it work smoothly without plugins but that day is coming closer :).

Video is an interesting feature.  I hope to add it in the future to see whether users decide to enable it.  Some people are shy or may be jamming in their pajamas, but it can't hurt to make the option available.

Thanks for your ideas!
Monday, June 03, 2013

By the way, if you are wondering why not use a video chat like Skype or Hangouts, they have delay.  That makes them unsuitable for jamming since everyone needs to stay on beat.

jammr works differently - you can jam without latency issues because it synchronizes entire bars, keeping everyone in tempo.  There is a short video that explains the concept here:
http://jammr.net/howitworks.html
Monday, June 03, 2013

No I mean a video demo!

I played the video in "how it works" but that didn't explain anything. You need to show a jam session.
Bring back anon Send private email
Monday, June 03, 2013

> No I mean a video demo!

Ah, I finally get it :).  That's a great comment, we'll try to put up a demo video soon.
Tuesday, June 04, 2013

That looks great!

I don't get the "interval" thing. Does that mean that you play a part, then wait for people to play on it to hear the jam?
Geoffroy Couprie Send private email
Tuesday, June 04, 2013

I agree with Geoffroy, I didn't get that either. I mean I sort of got it... I  assumed it meant you play out of sync but it makes it seem like you're playing in sync? If that's the case maybe you need a live demo with real musicians doing it, I find it hard to picture how that would work.

But I am not a musician, this might be really obvious to them.

Nice site btw.
Jonathan Matthews Send private email
Tuesday, June 04, 2013

Geoffroy and Jonathan:
Intervals are hard to describe in a simple way.  I've experimented with diagrams and now we have a video on the "How it works" page that tries to explain it briefly (maybe too briefly?).

Remember that music follows patterns - a beat or a chord progression that repeats.  Players set the interval to match the chord progression, say 16 beats.

When I play the progression, you hear it one interval later than me.  But we can play together nicely because the underlying chord progression repeats itself.  I may play slight variations but we'll stay in the same key and play on top of the same basic chords.

It doesn't matter whether you play to my current interval or last interval, your notes will "fit".  A weird consequence is that every player hears a slightly different version of the jam - it's all relative!

Maybe this makes a little more sense?  Anyway, if you try it out I think you'll get a feel for how the jam is natural.  You don't notice it while playing.

We'll put more thought into describing this because it's a key question that gets asked when people find out about jammr.

Thanks for your feedback!
Tuesday, June 04, 2013

Ok, I see. That is a good way to let everybody use your service, even on a bad connection.
Geoffroy Couprie Send private email
Wednesday, June 05, 2013

it sounds to be interesting no? even though i dont know exactly how to use it... haha
yuke he Send private email
Monday, June 24, 2013

> it sounds to be interesting no? even though i dont know exactly how to use it... haha

Hi Yuke He,
The easiest way is to join our weekly jam session on jammr.net on Saturday at 16:00 UTC.  I'll be online to chat and help you get set up.

If you play an accoustic instrument or you sing, then you need a microphone connected to your computer.

If you play an electric instrument there is often a way to get USB audio (for example, modern guitar multi-effects pedals have this).

Finally, you can also use software instruments like synthesizers, samplers, drum machines, etc that are VST plugins.

Simply download and try it out.  If you need help, post on forum.jammr.net and we'll be happy to listen.
Monday, June 24, 2013

I have now posted a video on the landing page so you can see how jammr works without downloading it :).

Thanks for suggesting a video!  Any feedback appreciated.
Tuesday, June 25, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics