* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

New License Management Product / Website  - Review & Feedback

We are in the process of finalizing the last bits of our License Management application and website. I would appreciate any feedback on any relevant item ... from web site layout, application technology to pricing and business model.

If you think that you will be using such a product in the near future, don't hesitate to contact us as we are planning on providing a promotional offer for early adopters.

http://goo.gl/Fv1g7

Thank You.
axum Send private email
Saturday, June 01, 2013

You're going to have a hard time marketing yourself as "Fv1g7", unless your target market is time-travelling robots from the future ;^)

Why hide?
Scorpio Send private email
Monday, June 03, 2013

You are dealing with sensitive stuff (licensing, encryption, and so on) yet don't tell your visitors right away where you are based. Just in case you do want to conceal your identity, there is a reference to Ontario, Canada near the end of your T&C.
Dmitry Leskov @Home Send private email
Monday, June 03, 2013

The shortened url was not meant for of hiding  identity and you can go directly to our website by just clicking on the link.

I used the shortened url only to avoid this page rank higher than  our website (at least in the short run) for a search term that has the keywords in our url. In addition, the google url shortener provides additional stats for each shortened url that you create.

Anyways, I was hoping for more feedback and would still like to hear any suggestions or comments that you have.

Thank you all again and especially those who dropped few lines via the website!
axum Send private email
Monday, June 03, 2013

The top left part of the page contains the logo and carousel.  Depending on which carousel slider is shown, it tells me very little about the product.  A bit more detail about what I mean:

What is the product name?  "Simple Mode" and the "Simple Mode Technologies" logo do not communicate the purpose of your product.  They do not contain search keywords.  If the logo was a padlock then it would set me in the right frame of mind, but the "S" gives no clue what the product is about.

Consider dropping or modifying the "Really simple to use" slider on the carousel.  It does not communicate the purpose of your product - the screenshot is too small for me to figure out the purpose of the program and the caption "Really simple to use" is generic.  The "Prevent casual piracy" slider is great though.

Maybe change the "Flexible and powerful" slider caption to "Flexible and powerful licensing" or "Flexible and powerful software licensing" if that fits.  This immediately communicates what your product is about.

The "Buy Now" button doesn't stand out - "Learn More" and "View Demo" are more prominent because of their stronger colors.  This is something you can A/B test later but I suspect the "Buy Now" button will be missed by users.

Hope this helps!
Stefan Hajnoczi Send private email
Saturday, June 08, 2013

Stefan,

Thank your comments and good review of the website. I will surely incorporate some of your suggestions in the coming days.

I am trying keep the logo simple and with no product information (such as pad lock for license management) so that I won't have to change the logo if I ever add a 2nd product.

Thank you again for the review.
axum Send private email
Monday, June 10, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics