* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

adwords enhanced campaigns

Hi,

I have made a mistake of upgrading my campaigns to enhanced prematurely. Now, I see that my conversions dropped drastically. Does anyone else in the same situation? How enhanced campaigns are working for everybody else?

BTW, my campaigns uses Conversion Optimizer, which does not seem to help very much.
Jim Morrison Send private email
Thursday, May 30, 2013

My software doesn't work on mobile or tablet, so I am holding off as long as possible. I am quite annoyed that I will be forced to pay for clicks on tablets when I don't want to.
Andy Brice Send private email
Thursday, May 30, 2013

> My software doesn't work on mobile or tablet, so I am holding off as long as possible.

I wonder if the logic is sound.

I very often do the initial search and reading on my huge shovel-like smartphone, and then, when finally home/at office, go straight to the site and download the thing I have chosen.

Imagine a potential customer on a go who suddenly got an idea "omg there must be an app for this painful thing I have to do!". Smartphone is pulled out and a search is done. And your app is not there.

And I believe most of the ideas like that come on a go simply because people spend more time off their table than on it.
Vladimir Dyuzhev Send private email
Friday, May 31, 2013

@Vladimir - you're probably right that there's some value in tablet searches for desktop apps unfortunately Adwords will now stop us setting a different CPA or CPC for these users.

I doubt their value is the same as a desktop searcher since their funnel has a very big gap where they can fall out (moving to their desktop).
Jonathan Matthews Send private email
Friday, May 31, 2013

You can set a discount value for different devices though, which is almost as good.  We are discounting mobile phone bid prices by 100% (to essentially 0)
Doug Send private email
Friday, May 31, 2013

Interesting - thanks for that Doug - completely solves my problem with this.
Jonathan Matthews Send private email
Friday, May 31, 2013

>I very often do the initial search and reading on my huge shovel-like smartphone, and then, when finally home/at office, go straight to the site and download the thing I have chosen.

Yes, but I can't track that (unless Adwords adds the ability to track conversions across multiple devices). So I have no way of knowing what those clicks on tablets are worth. I'm sure they are worth less (to me) than clicks from a Windows/Mac laptop/desktop.
Friday, May 31, 2013

Doug,

Can you discount tablet clicks?
Friday, May 31, 2013

Yes.  Under Campaign Settings, there is an option under Devices with three categories:
Computers
Tablets with full browsers
Mobile devices with full browsers

You can apply a bid adjustment % to each category.
Doug Send private email
Friday, May 31, 2013

Parenthetically (I never get to use that word!), I notice that for my IT-focused ads, 98% of clicks from Google searches come from Computers despite not discounting the bids on tablets.

On the other hand, about 57% of clicks come from Computers with 43% coming from Tablets from the Content Network, again with no discount on tablets.

So it would seem people (well, IT geeks) don't use Google search on their tablets nearly as much as on a Computer.  Or, at least they're not searching for work-related things from a tablet in my niche.
Doug Send private email
Friday, May 31, 2013

Doug, it is not possible to discount tabled clicks, they are treated the same way as Desktop clicks. That is the problem.
Jim Morrison Send private email
Monday, June 03, 2013

Enhanced Campaigns are coming our way whether you like it or not, and they're almost certainly going to have a major impact on the performance of your account.

I understand why Google are doing this, but the fact is that you'll have less control over who you target and how you target them. Great.

And once you've converted your campaigns to Enhanced Campaigns, there's no way to block tablet traffic. Tablet traffic will simply be combined with desktop traffic.

If you're offering downloadable software that will only work on desktop computers, we've been recommending that our clients adopt the smart downloads model.   

The basic idea is that you first of all detect the platform the downloader is using. If they're on a device that is supported by your software, send them to your download as normal. If they're using an unsupported device, capture their email address, offering to send them an email with instructions on how to download your software on their supported device.

This approach allows you to avoid turning potential downloaders away, and will also allow you to track these types of visitors through AdWords and Google Analytics.

It seems a little clunky but it (usually) works reasonably well.

If you are targeting the display network, you may also wish to exclude the following domains from those campaigns:

adsenseformobileapps.com
appspot.com
anonymous.google

Excluding them should help reduce the impressions from mobile devices on the display network.

NOTE: Don't exclude the above sites without first checking that they're not actually working for you! One of the few generic rules of Google AdWords is that there are no generic rules of Google AdWords.
Dave Collins Send private email
Monday, June 03, 2013

Thanks Dave!
Tuesday, June 04, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics