* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Best way to distribute a press release

Hi,

In the previous thread I was suggested an idea to send out a press release to increase the visibility of our product.

Let's say I ordered a PR, the question is how to distribute it? I can see some websites that offer to send the PR to tens or even hundreds thousands recipients for a low fee of $50-$100 (or even for free), and my gut feeling is that such messages directly go to spam.

Anyone can recommend a service that has proven connections to journalists in technology area? Thank you
Isso Send private email
Tuesday, May 28, 2013

I think you need to retain the services of a good PR firm, if you want your press releases to be taken seriously.

Anyone who claims to distribute thousands per dollar, must be using email and is obviously just a spammer. Even if they feel like they're providing as valuable service, you can bet the recipients treat it as spam and don't ever look at it.

You'd probably be better off trying to find out who'd be interested in your product and then approaching them directly. Spend the $100 on coffee/beer/lunch with a couple of relevant journalists, not spam.

As always, IMHO, YMMV, etc.
Scorpio Send private email
Wednesday, May 29, 2013

I've been using PRWeb to distribute press releases. These are published on a multitude of technology resources plus subscribers. So far I am pretty satisfied with the result, at least our target groups get the message delivered and we get feedback. The pricing depends on the package you choose.

I would love to hear alternative experiences with other PR distribution services, as I am always open to try new things.
Valeriu Braghis Send private email
Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Scorpio, Valeriu,

Thank you very much for your suggestions.
Isso Send private email
Wednesday, May 29, 2013

I'll have to check out PRWeb as was suggested, but my experience with PR networks is they aren't really worth the time or expense.

There are a few areas I prefer to spend my time generating PR:
-HARO (watch for reporters looking for relevant stories, then respond. This can net you a write up about 10% of the time you respond in my experience, sometimes more)
-Building relationships with key influencers - talk to key bloggers, reporters, etc in your niche. Send them useful stuff. When you have a story, let them know about it, and you ate much more likely to get a good writeup.

Whatever you try, let us know! I am always on the hunt for new ways to get the word out. PR is hard.
Charlie B Send private email
Tuesday, June 04, 2013

yes, I think it is a good way to release press but maybe because i am a girl, I always lisen music to release my press.
jp sendaen Send private email
Friday, June 21, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics