* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Please review my site, it's about a new approach to note taking

Hi all,

It might be a good start to say that i read this forum for a long time and this is just my first post. Everyone do this way in their review requests :) Anyway...

Please review my site http://memofon.com/

I tried to introduce a new approach to note taking and mind mapping, using Markdown syntax to create mind maps?

What you think, is it interesting as an alternative to todo lists and simple mind mapping software?

Thank you,
Slava Snezhkov
Slava Sniezhkov Send private email
Monday, May 27, 2013

Very nicely designed. It's similar to Trello but for mind maps.

Choosing markdown touch makes it very geeky though. It's not necessarily a bad thing though; with a proper integration it could become a hit if integrated with, say, GitHub which is already quite markdown oriented.

Then, the monetization of such an app looks very challenging. Trello can probably live off "enterprise" plans because they aim to reach millions of people. It's probably going to be quite tough to do the same for Memofon.

Any business plan in mind?

Good one.

Probably you can sell this as a service. Given any hierarchical data, you can depict it as a mind-map.
Gautam Jain Send private email
Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Thank you for the positive feedback!

Regarding the business model. The original idea was to give students/teachers new effective way of creating mind maps and then publishing them, possibly as paid educational materials.

Memofon already supports exporting mind map to opml, html5, pdf is on the go.

What you think, will it survive?
Slava Sniezhkov Send private email
Tuesday, May 28, 2013

>The original idea was to give students/teachers new effective way of creating mind maps and then publishing them, possibly as paid educational materials.

Memory maps already seems like a very crowded market. Pitching in a crowded market to people who don't buy a lot of software (students and teachers) doesn't seem a great strategy for commercial success. Perhaps you would be better going after business users? Perhaps you could licence it to be embedded in other web apps? The web apps could perhaps generate the markdown (getting around the geekiness of markdown). Just a thought.
Andy Brice Send private email
Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Well designed, going to fail if you do not develop a better business model.
Bring back anon Send private email
Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Potential business model: offer free accounts (like you do today) but only if all created notes are publicly visible.

Offer PRO accounts that allows making posts private, for a few dollars a month (but also offer yearly subscription at 10-20% discount, for better cashflow).

Allow easy embedding of notes in other websites, for "virality".

Somewhere down the line you can offer very expensive BUSINESS accounts, where an organization can buy multiple accounts, they can be centrally managed etc. But that probably only makes sense after your product takes off.
Krzysztof Kowalczyk Send private email
Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Looks cool!

Another potential way to sell: a plugin for Sharepoint.

(I don't really know if it is technically possible/compatible, but mind maps could be very useful to BAs in the initial requirements collection phase ... and not only to them).
Vladimir Dyuzhev Send private email
Sunday, June 02, 2013

Oh, and another one:

I have recently stumbled upon https://www.draw.io/ which is a nice online drawing tool. Turned out they are integrated into Google Drive. I cannot confirm, but for a Google Apps for Business they may be not free.

You may consider to integrate into Google Drive too -- if only for a way for people to organize their mind maps along with their other documents.
Vladimir Dyuzhev Send private email
Sunday, June 02, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics