* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Sage advice, now how to find product to resell?

I read the article "The brutal truth about marketing your software product " at successfulsoftware.net and these sentences stood out:
"Learn how to market and sell before you build your product. Learn these crafts by picking a product that’s already been built and act as a reseller”.

How would one go about finding a software product to resell?  What are the pit falls to watch out for in picking a product to resell?

Thanks,
TD
TD Lee Send private email
Monday, May 20, 2013

I also thought that was a great piece of advice. Probably one of his best blog posts ever. Thanks to Andy for putting it together. As for your question:

1. Find a uISV in the market you want to enter
2. Ask them if you can resell their software for a X% commission
3. Do it

Ask them to track sales from you or use a third-party referral software. If it's a uISV, they probably won't have a problem adding a special coupon/link for you. I've done this for people who asked me.

There are also many software systems that rely on a consultancy which may be something you want to look at. For example, a lot of the IBM stuff can't be touched without a consultant. While that will teach you sales, it will also take up  alot o ftime. I don't suggest this.

Let us know what you decide to do.
Bring back anon Send private email
Monday, May 20, 2013

You could sign up as affiliate. Shareasale.com is popular with smaller software companies. If you're out to prove your metal I'd choose a product people won't have heard of. Selling Photoshop would be a different process to selling an unknown name.
Jonathan Matthews Send private email
Tuesday, May 21, 2013

*mettle*
Bring back anon Send private email
Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Plimus also has a marketplace and you can apply to become an affiliate. Choose the products you are interested. Sometimes you will be auto approved and sometimes you will have to send personalized emails to the vendor for approving you as the reseller. The normal % is around 30%
nilesh Send private email
Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Don't forget the review the SEO landscape if you are planning to sell an affiliate product. Find a product where the authors website doesn't rank too well on search engines (i.e Google) then build a search engine optimised website to sell the product. This will only be possible with a niche product in a market that isn't flooded with competitors. 

Look for products where the author is clearly not doing a very good job of marketing the product themselves. Tell tail signs will be websites with poor copy, outdated screen shots, no product videos. Find the best quality website that you could reasonably emulate an apply that to your chosen product.
Andrew Gibson Send private email
Tuesday, May 21, 2013

>I also thought that was a great piece of advice. Probably one of his best blog posts ever.

I'm not sure how to take that, given that it was a guest post. ;0)

But yes, it was an interesting and honest take.

A couple of days ago I was searching for HDR (high dynamic range) photography software. I found a few articles, but nothing especially useful (NB/ I only spent 5 minutes searching). Maybe you could create a site reviewing and comparing the options and include some affiliate links? See if you can get traffic and convert it. Or pick some other area that you are knowledgeable/passionate about? Just a thought.
Andy Brice Send private email
Tuesday, May 21, 2013

"picking a product that’s already been built and act as a reseller"
Not every product is suited for the affiliate selling channel.  Actually, almost every product is NOT suited for the affiliate selling channel, but this guest article on Andy's blog is still worth reading, just pick out the good parts and don't slavish follow every bit.

"If you can’t “market and sell” what on earth is the point in wasting all that time, effort and money building your own product?"
Now, that's a piece of sage advice, but remember that if you become good at reselling software developed by someone else doesn't mean that the same techniques will be successful with software you develop yourself.  And if you aren't any good at reselling other people's software, don't assume you are doomed at selling your own.

Marketing is a field onto itself, just like programming or accounting.  I'm an analyst for a sales division, but I can't handle rejection or the lies customers give you, so I don't pretend to be any good at sales.  But I have seen good products that fit their intended market sell extremely well without the benefit of sales and marketing geniuses. 

There is nothing to prevent you from becoming an expert on your intended market, designing a product that knocks their socks off, and making sure they are aware of your product.  Do that, and your odds of success are just as good as if you become an expert at reselling other people's software.
Howard Ness Send private email
Tuesday, May 21, 2013

> I read the article "The brutal truth about marketing your software product "

With all due respect to the author, the proper title for the article would be "What to do when your product fails".

He admits it himself late in the article: "Nothing wrong with the marketing and sales. It’s the product. There were better products out there."

OK, the product has failed, and he has moved into a consultancy. That may work, depending on your goals.

But if you want to make good money, why not move into consultancy right now? Why spend time reselling?

If you want to generate a passive income and have more control over your life, the consultancy is not a solution. It is a dangerous swamp.

Figure out what are your strategic goals.
Vladimir Dyuzhev Send private email
Wednesday, May 22, 2013

"searching for HDR (high dynamic range) photography software"
I'm a motivated occasional photographer who has spent too much disposable income on camera gear in the last 25 years, and I do  know what HDR is and how it works.  It seems to me that optics are still a more important part of photography, and I don't see professional photographers using HDR to make a living.  Maybe the best expert advice is to work on the aspects of taking photographs that don't involve software. All I'm saying is, don't restrict your field of view too much.
Howard Ness Send private email
Sunday, May 26, 2013

I have a product you can resell. My website isn't very good and, with my 5ish hours per week I have to spend on my business, it will probably be a while before I can complete the site redesign that I need to do. The URL is http://www.sniphq.com/.

Let me know if you're interested. I'd be happy to walk you through the product, tell you about the business, etc.
Jason Swett Send private email
Tuesday, May 28, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics