* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Slightly OT but can anyone recommend MS-based web hosting?

As you might recall, I held up the white flag on my mISV earlier this spring.  I would, however, like to keep the service available for free, and made some mods to it.

I've a server contract that is shortly about to end, and I'm looking at how best to keep the service alive but now that I've gone back into the world of the employed, I don't want to spend too much.

Can anyone recommend a fully-functional Windows Server-based web hosting that will provide full IIS access, plus SQL Server and the ability to install Windows services? 

My current contract runs to around £70/month for a virtual server, but ideally since this is free I'd like to get it a bit cheaper.  Or, maybe someone here has spare capacity and wouldn't mind helping out?  As I said, I want to keep it alive as a free service so I'm open to suggestions...

John Clark Send private email
Saturday, May 18, 2013
I suspect you won't be able to save too much unless you can run your application in ASP.NET.  Then a shared hosting service might be enough.  The company I usually recommend
http://www.canadianwebhosting.com/vps/Windows_VPS/ will cost you $80 CAN/month and up, so it won't be much of a savings.  The MSSQL add-on is at least as much as the VPS itself.
Howard Ness Send private email
Saturday, May 18, 2013
I'm with DiscountASP.

They offer IIS 8, Windows Server 2012, asp.net 4.5, SQL Server 2012, etc

They've been around for a decade or so now and I'm fairly happy with them.

You can see their web hosting plan on this page:

It starts at $10/month and then you can add whatever you want (SQL Server, etc).

Hope this helps.
Anthonyb Send private email
Sunday, May 19, 2013
I do not specifically use Windows hostings. But I use inexpensive and rather powerful Hetzner dedicated servers for 49 euros/mo.

Intel® Core™ Quad-Core i7-2600 processor, 16 GB DDR 3 RAM ... 2 x 3 TB SATA 6 Gb/s hard disk drives.

To install Windows Server there:

Windows Server 2008 R2 Web Edition 15 €/Month
Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard Edition 25 €/Month

Note if you're not European resident, you do not pay VAT (or Canadian HST in my case), the the price is final, no more tax.

Just another data point for ya, eh.
Vladimir Dyuzhev Send private email
Sunday, May 19, 2013
That's just throwing good money after the bad man... Just shut it down and my clean break.

Its like getting dumped by your girlfriend but still keep hanging around her and buying her gifts... Move on.
Blocky Send private email
Sunday, May 19, 2013
More like "paying her rent". I do agree.

Unless there are things one continue to learn on that free service (marketing, SEO, ...), there is not point to keep it running.
Vladimir Dyuzhev Send private email
Sunday, May 19, 2013
Someone mentioned DiscountASP.net.  I was with them for a few years.  I would say stay away from them.  After I started using pingdom and other services to monitor uptime, I noticed my site would periodically go down.

I decided to move my hosting to rackspace but keep my domain registered with them.  They said no problem.  When I cancelled my hosting account, they blew away my DNS settings and locked me out.  For a week and a half they held up transferring my domain.  There outsourced technical support just said, "there's nothing we can do."  They wouldn't allow me to reinstate my hosting account so I could fix the issue, or even contact tucows. 

It wasn't until I started looking for someone to serve with legal papers that I got any kind of technical support.  I discovered that they are registered to a PO Box in California and resell domains from twocows. 

I have to say I've had zero problems with Rackspace.
Joe Turner Send private email
Sunday, May 19, 2013
I suggest a Windows VM on Windows Azure, plus a SQL DB also on Windows Azure. In my experience, hosting on Azure has been painless compared to all the non-cloud providers we ever had before.

The smallest setup should cost you about $20 / month for both the VM and the DB.

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics