* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Component/service to gather computer statistics?

I'm looking for a service that offers a library that I can incorporate into my (C++) Windows desktop application, that will let me ask my user 'do you want to anonymously submit information about your computer to our servers', and which offers me various reports on the information my users submit (e.g. pie charts of various measured qualities, trends over time etc).

Specifically I'm wondering whether the time has come to switch from 32 bit to 64 bit builds and tell people on 32 bit machines that they're out of luck. For some specific reasons it's much harder for me to maintain parallel (both 32 and 64 bit) builds of my software than it is for other products, so that combined with limited resources makes that offering both is not an option in my case.

But apart from that I'm also interested in learning about Windows versions used, screen resolution and a number of other things like that (a particular one: how many people are running my software on a Mac using Parallels?). My users do not follow hardware trends in step with the general population, so world-wide statistics from big websites etc. don't reliably paint a picture of my users.

Suggestions?
Joske Vermeulen Send private email
Thursday, May 16, 2013

Is there an open source project that has implemented this in a way you like?  Forget about charting and presentation of data for your own use, you will have to roll your own (or brush up on Excel) once you have raw data to work with.

Maybe you could borrow some code from Mozilla, but use RTF instead of HTML.
Howard Ness Send private email
Thursday, May 16, 2013

You could build this yourself rather easily. Use an HTTP library like libcurl (http://curl.haxx.se/libcurl/ ), and just POST any data to a script on your website.
Wyatt O'Day Send private email
Thursday, May 16, 2013

As someone with almost no experience I'd estimate you could roll this about as easily as a good licensing system Wyatt ;)

Seriously, I think it's a good question because if this was implemented well I imagine it would end up with the power of something like Google Analytics for slicing and dicing the data (or better - GA can be very frustrating) + be multi-platform on the desktop + be a cloud service for handling the data.

Unfortunately I'm not aware of any such product.
Jonathan Matthews Send private email
Friday, May 17, 2013

Have you checked http://www.eqatec.com/
Atanas Krachev Send private email
Saturday, May 18, 2013

If you use Google analytics then it gives you the visitor's browser and operating system. I could not find more details beyond that.

But if you have access to your webserver logs then it has some information that you could use

For e.g, here is the an entry from our dev server. The WOW64 tells me it is a Windows 64 bit machine.

127.0.0.1 - - [20/May/2013:15:07:35 -0400] "POST /infocaptor_dev /mode=GET_CURRENT_PROJECT HTTP/1.1" 200 98078 "http://infocaptor.com" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:20.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/20.0"

if this is what you need then just ftp the logs, split them into columns, load into database and run your SQL queries to find trends.
nilesh Send private email
Monday, May 20, 2013

We use http://deskmetrics.com/

When I was looking for this type of software - DeskMetrics was the obvious choice in terms of price and features.
BrutForce Send private email
Tuesday, May 28, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics