* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Please review our new product/website

Hi everyone,

We just launched our new product: www.ax64.com
Any comments or suggestions are very welcome. Thank you

Isso
Isso Send private email
Saturday, May 11, 2013

Firstly, nice job!  Attractive layout, great logo, good copywriting.  (I do think we might all be a bit bored of that distinctive Bootstrap look these days, but it works well here.)

Secondly: I expect it's only a matter of seconds before Apple's lawyers land a ton of bricks on you.  Calling a backup product "Time Machine" is asking for trouble.

A few glitches for you:

"Allows to restore your PC" sounds wrong - I would say "Allows you to restore your PC".  Ditto "allows to quickly recover".

For me (Chrome on Windows 7) the video gets to 13 seconds in and then resets to the start.

You say "Supports Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8" and the site is called ax64, which makes me wonder whether it supports 32-bit Windows or not.  You might want to make that clear.

The hero unit on the Tour page is too sparse and boring - put something there, even if it's just the logo again.

I'm not sure I believe all the claims.  "Backing up your drive, or restoring it to an earlier point in time normally takes seconds to a minute" - oh really?  For a 1TB machine with a USB drive I'm not convinced.  (Of course I haven't tried it.)

The shopping cart is rather confusing - two different links to PayPal, and what looks like a bug: having clicked the Continue Shopping button once, the Checkout button no longer works but rather does the same thing as Continue Shopping.  I have to go via View Cart to get it out of that broken state.
Richie Hindle Send private email
Saturday, May 11, 2013

One more thing:  The two words "Newsletter Registration" don't do a great job of selling your newsletter... you need to tell me why I should sign up, what I can expect to receive, and how often I might be emailed.  Is it an announcement-only list for new versions? Will I get hints and tips on how to make best use of the products? And you should reassure me that you won't spam me or pass on my details to anyone else.
Richie Hindle Send private email
Saturday, May 11, 2013

Hi Richie,

Thank you very much for thorough review!

For Apple lawyers - if they contact us, it means that the project is successful, I'll be happy about it :)

For claims - yes it will be very fast even on 1 TB machine backed up to a USB drive. The first backup will take some time (which is expected, because it needs to copy all data), and afterwards the backups and restores will take seconds to minutes depending on the amount of file system changes.

Shopping cart - it's a third party company that we are using to process the payments, I'll consider switching to something else.

"Newsletter Registration" isn't actually working yet :) We'll fix it and I'll take into consideration all your suggestions. Thank you!

Isso
Isso Send private email
Saturday, May 11, 2013

The website looks nice. However, one thing I kept thinking while looking at it, was what does this do that System Restore doesn't?

Is it better, faster, more efficient?

You should certainly do some sort of comparison. I'd also recommend that you start searching for problems that people have with system restore and write some content about how your product can resolve them.

Otherwise what motivation will customers have to find the product, when you are competing with an OS feature?
Andrew Gibson Send private email
Sunday, May 12, 2013

It certainly does NOT mean the project is successful if Apple contacts you -- it just means they're protecting their trademark.  Although, it will certainly get you a lot of PUBLICITY for your product, which may be what you want, on places like cNet and such when they report the story of Apple suing you.
Harry Phace Send private email
Sunday, May 12, 2013

Introducing a product whose name uses (what I assume is) a trademark of a very litigious company for their very similar product would be way to much risk for me.

I'd rename now before you put time and effort into your brand.
Jonathan Matthews Send private email
Sunday, May 12, 2013

Andrew,

Thank you very much for your ideas! You are absolutely right. I'll add some sort of comparison with existing solutions.
Isso Send private email
Sunday, May 12, 2013

Harry, Jonathan

There are a number of similar registered trademarks like "PC Time Machine", "Comodo Time Machine" etc. So I don't really see a problem with it, moreover we don't compete with Apple in any way - our solution works only on PCs.
Isso Send private email
Sunday, May 12, 2013

Added to that there's the BBC with Doctor Who and the estate of HG Wells. I don't think that Apple can claim Time Machine as a trade mark.
Andrew Gibson Send private email
Sunday, May 12, 2013

"Time Machine" in relation to a computer back up application is arguably specific and not related to Doctor Who or H.G. Wells.

How do you know that those other companies haven't paid a licensing fee to Apple to avoid litigation ?

I know that finding a good name is very difficult, but don't you have any imagination ?
koan Send private email
Sunday, May 12, 2013

Thank you koan, I'll talk to a lawyer about this issue.

Isso
Isso Send private email
Sunday, May 12, 2013

Tried to do the initial backup to a networked drive.

Was going OK for a while, but then:

Backup error C1000103 code 0.

:-(
Vladimir Dyuzhev Send private email
Monday, May 13, 2013

Product looks good. Needs some polish though:

Cannot cancel the started backup. No cancel button. Afraid to click [X] -- could it erase my disk and render myself sterile?

Also, why cannot I backup to 2 and more destinations? CrashPlan allows it. I'd like to backup to the attached SDD and also to my home server.
Monday, May 13, 2013

Hi Vladimir,

Thank you very much for testing the program.
For Cancel button - we'll add it, a lot of users requested it. In fact you can close the program to cancel the backup - it won't do any harm to your system. Here:

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=339999

the program has been beta-tested for a few months, there are almost 2000 posts in that thread, and overall the program is quite stable.

For error C1000103 backing up to the network drive - looks like the network connection was briefly lost.

For backing up to multiple destinations - that feature is in progress.

Thank you!
Isso
Isso Send private email
Monday, May 13, 2013

> For error C1000103 backing up to the network drive - looks like the network connection was briefly lost.

I suspected that. (This was Wifi.)

Since you support the backup to network drives, wouldn't it worth it to support recovery after the lost connection? So much less support requests, eh?

Also, I'd prefer the error message in plain English.
Tuesday, May 14, 2013

"Please consider making a backup" sounds too ... I don't know.. too uncertain? Makes one wonder is the backup is such a necessity, really? I feel it needs to be more assertive and calling to action.
Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Thank you Vladimir, that makes a lot of sense. I'll be working on it.

Isso
Isso Send private email
Tuesday, May 14, 2013

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics